Globe artichokes roots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe artichokes roots

Yesterday at a Seedy Saturday I picked up a couple of pieces of Globe Artichoke root. What can I do with them now? Should I:-
    a. put them in a pot until the weather improves,
    b. plant them out and pray, or say,
    c. load of old rubbish, they won't do anything because there aren't any shoots on them?
    Is there a d. option?

Well, if they fail, I have plants that I translated from an old allotment site having new houses built on - you're welcome to one.. I've 3 odd in my garden at the mo.

Comment

Thanks Chris. I have the feeling that your allotment is migrating into my garden!

Comment

Pot them up and keep them somewhere cool, and see what happens
        mine are alive and well (still got leaves!) in their pots in the cold greenhouse (the one still with the frozen up door )

Comment

Thanks Thelma, that's exactly what I thought! Nothing ventured ....

Comment

If the bits of root don't work globe artichokes are pretty easy to grow from seed. Evidently the preference for root cuttings over seeds is that seeds are not guaranteed to come true but I've never found that to be a problem (they're only thistles!). I had about 10 along a stone south-facing wall - they like that sort of luxury - which were very reliable but last winter's extreme temperatures rather decimated them and I never got round to replacing the gaps last summer. A couple I'd put in an equally privileged spot on the allotment were looking lively all through this winter until the recent cold snap, haven't checked them since. But so architectural... massive expanse for the little edible bits, like a declaration of conspicuous consumption in the veg patch.

Comment

Jerusalem artichoke are the ones you grow from roots or tubers
              globe artichokes are grown via seed - but possible to take cuttings from them.
              do a little every day...
              keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine are outdoors in a border and been through 2 pretty tough winters - i cut back in the autumn when they die off and invariably have shoots coming through towards the end of winter (this year they had some new growth going into winter as milder and are showing no signs damage due to the recent cold). i guess this suggests they're pretty hardy plants.

i read somewhere that the productive lifetime of the plat is approx 4 years and that you should take the root suckers and use these for growing new plants. don;t know if anyone has experience that agrees with this?

Comment

Originally posted by allotment grower View Post
                  Jerusalem artichoke are the ones you grow from roots or tubers
                  globe artichokes are grown via seed - but possible to take cuttings from them.
                  Yes, root cuttings, which Veggie C is talking about. She knows what a Jerusalem Artichoke is [or at least, she looks like she knows what one is]. Don't you VC?

Comment

I most certainly do, Zaz. I have a tray full of JAs here and can't decide whether to eat them, or replant them. My dilemma is, I'm not sure that I like the taste - as for the after effect, it works with dogs too - we experimented!! Never again!!

Comment

I'll swap you a couple for a GA plant?

Comment

You seriously want some JAs, Chris?

Comment

ja! Please

edit: see what I did there?
                          Last edited by chris; 13-02-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Very continental!! You're very welcome to them - clears my conscience and the air in Upper Ribena!

Comment

schweet. thank you... I shall PM you later on in the week wrt a drop off/collection (will drop the comfrey + GA if you want it off).

Cheers butt!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X