canker resistant parsnips???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canker resistant parsnips???

I hear good old Brizzle has a bit of a problem with canker (certainly Dave on the plot was a bit grumbly about his) so was wondering if people could recommend good canker-resistant varieties (and if you remember, where you got them from).

I've heard of one called Avonresister but not found it in any of my seed catalogues so far.

The organic gardening catalogue has a few that are supposed to be resistant to canker.

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Seed...duct_info.html

Comment

... which is a non-organic F1!! (I'm not fussed, I just find it a bit amusing)

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
        I hear good old Brizzle has a bit of a problem with canker (certainly Dave on the plot was a bit grumbly about his) so was wondering if people could recommend good canker-resistant varieties (and if you remember, where you got them from).

I've heard of one called Avonresister but not found it in any of my seed catalogues so far.
        Available at Thompson and Morgan and Marshalls.

Comment

Originally posted by scarletrunner View Post
          Available at Thompson and Morgan and Marshalls.
          so it is... just not in Marshall's paper catalogue (am I the only one who reads seed catalogues on the loo?)... but interestingly they only claim "some" canker restance for this one, others are listed as "good" (White Gem, Gladiator F1)

Comment

but it's only resistance......I grew Gladiator last year and they had bad canker

Comment

so it is... just not in Marshall's paper catalogue (am I the only one who reads seed catalogues on the loo?)... but interestingly they only claim "some" canker restance for this one, others are listed as "good" (White Gem, Gladiator F1)
              I read seed catalogues and garden mags. on the loo also!(sorry if that is to much information!)

Comment

try using cacified seedweed to balance the ph when growing parsnips.. canker is usually in the ground from previous crop try to rotate the crops / areas..

brassica's

roots- potatos ,

Carrots ,parsnips. non manured ground use blood fish bone approx 2 weeks before planting...

onions leeks garlic..,
                Last edited by zazen999; 30-01-2012, 08:26 PM. Reason: removal of link
                do a little every day...
                keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grew Gladiator F1 from T&M last year and had no canker problems.
                  http://petersgarden101.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I have some self saved white gem that you are more than welcome too if you want to give them a try. Just PM me your address.

Comment

Try 'Bayonetta' or 'Javelin'. Have heard tell these have a high resistance to canker. IMO though, whatever variety you try, you will never have a crop that is completely canker-free. HTH x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X