Walnuts in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnuts in pots

Does anyone know if you can grow walnut trees in pots? We have a reasonable size garden, but not big enough to sacrifice such a large area to one tree. I was looking at the broadview (?)which is naturally a bit more dwarf but still big, and one nursery was talking about keeping it smaller with very regular pruning, but I just wondered if it would fruit when kept small? Thanks, Ruth

I don't have a walnut tree but have thought about getting one many times. Have a look at this website
    Manse Organics Grafted Walnuts
    and ring the owners. They are very helpful. I believe they recommended Rita to a friend. Wouldn't have thought a pot was suitable, personally.

Comment

As far as I know you can only get walnuts from a stonking great tree!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a walnut in a pot. I have a mature walnut in the garden, (there is a pic in the link) it's over 60ft tall pruned. They are not the easiest tree to prune as they are prone to bleeding. To be honest, I can't see how it would ever be happy in a pot. Cob Nuts may be an option in a smaller garden?
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ees_61919.html
        Last edited by Scarlet; 22-01-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I am getting one to plant where the holly was. When I am long gone I expect it to be a sixty footer and I will look down from above. Walnuts make HUGE trees. The one up at the folly has to be a good 60-80 feet high and about 40 foot spread.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I moved here over 12 years ago, not sure when my walnut tree was planted but my guess its about 30years old. So you may not need to wait as long as you think! It has a very dense canopy in leaf so they need plenty of space. The roots also release a chemical into the ground that inhibits the growth of anthing else near it.

Comment

My folks have one in their back garden. A present from the squirrels I'd guess it is about 15 years old now, the height of a bungalow roof ridge, and fruiting like crazy. It has fruited for at least the last 5 years. I wouldn't think it would be suited to a pot, but there's one way to find out.

Anyone want any Walnuts to grow?
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'm interested - do your Mum and Dad manage to get any before the squirrels? I#m obviously not bothering to climb a 60ft ladder to get the ones on the top and the squirrels seem to get the easier ones first! Even the green ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                  I wouldn't think it would be suited to a pot, but there's one way to find out.

Anyone want any Walnuts to grow?
                  Dig it up and put it in a pot - is that what you mean? I'd love to grow a walnut tree, so if you have any spare uncracked nuts, I'm your nutter.

Comment

I often have them spouting up in my veg patch - if I see any in the spring I will pop one in the post

Comment

Thanks Scarlet. I've thought about trying to grow from shop walnuts but they always look so old and past it. Its the wrinkled shells, like looking in the mirror on a bad morning!

Comment

I would love to, but have heard that you cant plant them anywhere near apple trees - and we have lots of them, so I will just have to be content without one!

Comment

Just spilt my tea!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                            I would love to, but have heard that you cant plant them anywhere near apple trees - and we have lots of them, so I will just have to be content without one!
                            Mine are near apple trees - look at the pic in the link above - they are about 20ft away

Comment

We have walnut trees in Italy and they are huge. They produce loads of nuts in the late summer, everything about them is big, the leaves, trunk, leaves cant see how they would do in a pot
                              Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X