early potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early potatoes

I put my potatoes in five weeks ago and there is still no sign of them coming up, how long does it take for them to show them selfs. i thought they would be up now they are earlies?

I put my first lot in (rocket) on 24th Feb, and I've had the first sign of leaves showing this weekend - that's 6wks. But I did sow them pretty deep (about 10", I guess)

Comment

I planted Charlotte spuds on 10 March - covered with about 2 inches of earth - they are just showing through now. I also planted Winston's on 24 March - again covered about 2 inches - they are also through but they had stronger shoots on them. It all depends on how much soil they have to get through to see daylight I guess. Also I suppose some are just more vigorous growers. I am sure that grapes with much more experience than me will set your mind to rest soon. I know how deep mine are planted as I do them in buckets and I don't earth up until I know they are growing!!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Did you chit them first? I put mine in about 4 weeks ago and they had huge long sprouts , the leaves have come through really strongly I've earthed them up already. I'm sure they will come through I expect some varieties take a while and I've never heard of potatoes failing completely.

Comment

I planted mine in January and here they are.

Don't worry about them coming up. They take a little longer in colder weather but they will come when they're ready. Once the first green tips show they come up fast.
          Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Depends on how warm your soil is...they wont grow fast if they're cold. Having said that, the peelings in my compost heap have 3 inch leaves on them !
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I put in my 1st and 2nd early this weekend. The Irish man across the road told me to put them a spade deep and then they wouldn't need earthing up. Is this correct or have I now put them in too deep?
              Also OH dad told me to try cutting the potato in half if it has 2 eyes on it and that way you don't have to use as many seed potato. Not tried it but wondered if anyone else grows this way and what are the yeilds like?

Comment

Silverfox - in answer to your first question, it would still be wise to check and see where the tubers form. If they are just under the surface then you may still need to earth up to stop the light from getting to them. You may also find it worthwhile to earth-up for stabilising the tops of the plants and possibly for a greater yield.

As for your second question - yes you should be able to cut them in half. Some people manage to get their "peelings" to sprout in the compost heap because they have the eyes in them!

Comment

Was told today to make sure I cut the bottom of the potato when I plant it to make sure it rots Not heard or read this before.
                  Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

That's interesting - not heard that before. My experience is that some seed potatoes rot and others don't, but I've never thought about why and whether it had an effect on yield.

Comment

I have heard that in the US, seed merchants just post the eyes to save on postage costs

Comment

I don't know wether to cut or not. They didn't on the Big dig last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                          No Pottypotter don't cut your seed potatoes.
                          You have me curious now. Why?

Comment

Yes, why LJ? I had been told about cutting them in half and wasn't going to bother (haven't the last couple of years, so why start now?)
                            Surely if you cut them in half, you get the same yield as you would from one whole potato - the number of eyes/shoots won't be different will it? The only thing is if the yield is better maybe because the seed potato has more room for tubers to develop??

Comment

Sorry LJ - you posted as I typed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X