transplanting tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transplanting tomatoes

Can anyone help me? I have successfully germinated a couple of dozen tomato plants on a sunny window sill. They are 2-3 inches high and ready to transfer to 3 inch pots. Would it be OK to put them in n unheated greenhouse straight after or will the cool nights and hot days be a problem. I am in Devon so quite warm but still a slight risk of frost

Originally posted by has-bean View Post
    Can anyone help me? I have successfully germinated a couple of dozen tomato plants on a sunny window sill. They are 2-3 inches high and ready to transfer to 3 inch pots. Would it be OK to put them in n unheated greenhouse straight after or will the cool nights and hot days be a problem. I am in Devon so quite warm but still a slight risk of frost
    Mine have been out in the plastic greenhouse for a week now and seem to be ok I am just keeping an eye out for any heavy frost

Comment

Hello - and welcome to the Vine!!!
      I'd bring them in at night has-bean - or fleece them until you are sure the temperature at night won't drop below about 4 oC.
      Would be a shame to lose them!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

thanks . I cant bring em inside as no room as starting off courgettes and sweetcorn. Doubt will get below 4deg now this far south but will do half of em and leave the rest for a week or two so have two chances

Is 18 deg here today - too hot for digging!

Comment

I bring mine indoors at night till May. Maybe I'm being soft on them but I once forgot and we had a frost - a few curled up plants didn't make it.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hello Has Bean and welcome to the Vine .
            I'm in Devon also and have my tomato plants already in my greenhouse (four weeks now). If I think it's going to be a little cool, I light my hurricane lamp (placed on the gravel floor) and that seems enough to keep them about 10 degrees. Hope this helps. .. Lauren
            "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
            Lauren

Comment

Cheers Lauren plannted out 24 in 3 inch pots - 12 Ailsa Craig and 12 Tigerella. One hasnt made it prob cos of my clumsy handling while rest are thrivibg - as are the spares that are in the original tray. Thinking of starting off my sweetcorn and courgettes in Pots soon. Chillis and peppers should be in greeeenhouse in a week or so when i have a few days off to fuss over em.

Comment

Hello Has-bean, I remember Plymouth I was born there and lived there till I was exiled to East Anglia. You should be fine now with tomatoes, specially in a greenhouse, even unheated. They always used to say that the difference in Devon between winter and summer was that the rain was either cold or warm. We did use to get some snow and ice, but not often.

Comment

Thanks Rustylady. I live near Mountbatten peninsula - is housing and a marina now rather than a flying boat base but very nice place for a lad from ateshead to end up.

Tomatoes thriving so looking to put peppers and chillies out later today

Comment

Hi!!

I was looking for some advice and (sanity perhaps!!) lol! About what i'm doing wrong with some broad beans im trying to grow!! the ones ive planted indoors have rotted, can someone please help?????

im a bit pottie about growing own veg but only a novice!

Comment

Probably too wet. Don't soak the compost, just re-wet (preferable from below) when it goes dry. Good luck with the next batch!

By the way - broad beans grow well when directly sown.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Pottie

Im totally new to this site and think that someone may be able to give me some advice on starting off broad beans etc successfully. The ones ive started have rotted i think!! Help!

Can someone please help!!!!

Thanks

Comment

Hi!

I can only grow them out in large tubs with compost, where i live not permitted to plant into the ground, plus in Kilcreggan, Argyll, Scotland, so still a lot chilly here. Many thanks tho and will try your remedy!!

Comment

Hi,
                            My only advice here would be whilst it is not going to drop below 4 Degrees the plants have had a fairly hot temperature (Relatively speaking) so the growth will be checked by dropping them outside straight away, I would take them out in the morning, bring them back in in the evening (Doesn't have to be on the windowsill as it is dark) for a couple of days just to harden them off, otherwise you'll get a growth check, I had this issue last year..
                            Just an Office Guy trying to grow own food

http://www.allotment13.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pottie

Thanks for that, tried that last week when we had a sunny spell but since then it has gotten really cold so thats why i think they got chilled and have rotted. but will try again with the next batch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X