Overwintering Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwintering Rhubarb

Having resisted the urge to pick the 40 or so delicious looking stems that popped up during the summer of my rhubarb crown's first year, they've finally all died back and I'm wondering what to do next. I've read lots of threads and articles that talk about dressing the crown with straw and manure for the winter but I'm not sure if I should be covering it completely or just adding manure around the edges.

What do you do?

I've not covered my rhubarb crown but I have giving it a good mulch of manure around the edges.
    Chris

My Allotment Journal @
    Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
    -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I've not done anything to mine, but I did prepare the ground extremely well before it was planted.

I'll probably mulch it this time around though!

Comment

Usually give mine a good mulch of the well rotted stuff all round but not coveringt he crown, Works well for me.
        "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

I just bung on a barrow load of manure annually
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

You don't have to do anything to it ~ it's herbaceous, and will come back in the spring
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X