spacing strawberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spacing strawberries?

I've bought some strawberry plants for my first go at them this year. I'm planning on growing them in pots - how widely should they be spaced?

Thanks in advance for any clues

Depends on the size of the pots. I have a 9 inch plastic jardiniere thingy with three plants in, and a plastic trough from one of the cheap shops. The plants in that are around six inches apart. You do need to feed and water regularly if you are growing in containers. Good luck, I had excellent results last year and the bonus is that the slugs leave them alone and it is easy to net against birds.

Comment

I plant them 18" between plants and rows. The extra space makes for more and better quality fruit than jamming (no pun intended) them in too close.

Comment

I have discovered bindweed coming up in my strawberry bed. I suppose I hsall have to dig the lot up when they have fruited and start again unless someone has a wonderful idea of eradicating it. I am wondering how it got there...could it be to do with the straw used around the plants?

Summer

Comment

I would have thought that it was unlikely to be the straw that brought the Bindweed. As for getting rid of it I would suggest that spot treatment with Roundup will do the trick. If you want to be Organic then you will just have to keep pulling it up and eventually (years) it will give up and go away. Other than that the the whole bed will have to be cleared and dug over and even then you won't get it all out. The roots can go down 8 feet I would sugggest that you dont try to dig it out from around the Strawberries, as they are shallow rooting and dont like root disturbance.

Have a look at the Bindweed War thread for other ideas.

Best of luck
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I think that we in UK share the same roots on bind weed as you do in France.
            roitelet
            Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
            -- Alfred E. Neumann
            http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

thanks all

Comment

I have had strawberries in my garden for about 5 years now. Originally planted 10 and now there are almost a hundred in the same small space. To tell you the truth I think you should stick to any spacing mentioned here but I though I'd mention my spacing went out the window and pretty much ended up with no space between my strawberries. But because I keep them watered and fed well throughout end spring, summer and early autumn they seem to keep surviving on into the next year. Thinned them for the first time this year and that's only because the bed overflowed. Good luck with your strawberries.
                Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X