Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Potatoes

Hi all
    Just trying to order my seed pots for next year, and have a rough idea of how many actual spuds I need for the amount of land etc. However the allotment assoc sell them by weights.....eg 7lb, 14lb and 28lb.....I have absolutely no idea how many potatoes that would be...can anyone give me a clue??

I need around 30 salad ones (charlotte) and about 100 maincrop, if thats any help?

Thanks all
    Last edited by northepaul; 18-11-2011, 02:27 PM.

When I ordered 2.5kg nets of potatoes in January I ended up with 14 Desiree maincrop and around 17 each of Maris peer and Maris bard earlies if that's any help? I think 2.5kg is about 5.5 lbs

Comment

I've just checked, and all 3 were 1.5kg nets and not 2.5kg

Comment

The Garden Organic catalogue says
        1.5kg gives an average of 14 tubers which will require an area about 2.5 square meters

Comment

Whoops - I am in trouble now - I must have got overwhelmed by the choice in my JBA order
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

The problem of ordering by weight is that seed spuds vary quite a bit in size. For instance my Swift first early are much larger that my Picasso main crop.

A 2 kilo, 4.4 pound pack usually contains 25/30 tubers if that helps.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I find buying seed potatoes very addictive. I had so many I had to overspill into containers and my neighbour's garden That's after filling 2 x 9'x14 beds
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I've decided to go to the Hampshire Potato day at the end of January and buy them individually - I know how many I need but will probably get carried away with all the different varieties!

Comment

Thank you all.
                  So by my reckoning, if 1.5kg gives apprx 14 potatoes:
                  7lb is apprx 3kg should be around 28 pots
                  14lb is 6kg 56 pots
                  28lb 12kg 112 pots

What do you think as a general guideline?

Comment

The JBA home page has a calculator for the potatoes required for an area of ground.

Comment

Paul,
                      You talk of growing in pots, may I ask what size? may be able to help further.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        Paul,
                        You talk of growing in pots, may I ask what size? may be able to help further.

Colin
                        Paul's not growing pots in pots, just growing pots. Could be a useful sideline.

Comment

Its Thea anyway
                          No i'm sorry I should have been clearer, its potatoes in open ground. I already know how many potatoes I need, I just dont know how to translate that into lbs and oz!!
                          Last edited by northepaul; 18-11-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Whoops

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                              Its Thea anyway
                              No i'm sorry I should have been clearer, its potatoes in open ground. I already know how many potatoes I need, I just dont know how to translate that into lbs and oz!!
                              Apologies Thea - I blame Potstubsdustbins for confusing me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X