Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handy hint for left over pumpkins!

hi all,

people have probably done this anyway but here goes. i have been making pumpkins for halloween and it seemed a shame to throw the ones that we practised on so i have cut the pumpkin down to make a bowl shape and filled it with their layers mash or corn for them to eat out of! they were a bit dazzled by the new item and spent some time casing the joint so to speak but then they realised that there was food in there got stuck in. seems a novel way to recycle the old pumpkins!

angela t x

My parrot loves pumpkin flesh too, but I don't like having it splattered all up the curtains, TV, sofa ....
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

our turkeys and ducks go crazy for pumpkins- so far all the innards have been thrown into their pens!

Comment

aren't the seeds supposed to be bad for the chucks? Im sure I read about this last year somewhere, as I ended up picking them out

Comment

seeds good for humans though - dry em and use them to snack on or roast them in the oven - NICE

Wouldnt the chucks eat the pumpkins if they were cut up small pieces?

if not you can make a nice Sri lankan style curry out of them
          or
          you can roast the whole pumpkin minus the pulp and seeds but including skin and then blend it into a soup with spices and veg stock
          Last edited by janzbro; 31-10-2011, 12:53 AM.
          82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
            aren't the seeds supposed to be bad for the chucks?
            I shouldn't think so, pumpkin seeds are standard food for parrots and I'm sure chickens are even less fussy
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
              aren't the seeds supposed to be bad for the chucks? Im sure I read about this last year somewhere, as I ended up picking them out
              Well, mine didn't mind them - and I didn't notice any bad effect on them either
              ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Mine love them too. No pumpkin leftovers here. We make soup (for ourselves) with the flesh and give all the seeds and fibrous bits to the chooks. No waste.

Comment

I remember some friends telling me last year that hey chucked their whole hallowe'en pumpkin into the hen pen and they ate the lot, bar gruesome smile!

Comment

Only today we had a nice pumpkin soup, with carrots, a parsnip and a few potatoes all cooked and blended, seasoned with curry and some orange juice - and the seeds and all the rest went to the chickens, no leftovers here either

Comment

Yep -no waste here either - chucks will get the lanterns tomorrow too...

Comment

Something like this;

We leave the pumpkins for the girls, but I don't give them the seeds as they are very big in some of our pumpkins. We rinse, dry and roast them with salt in the oven.

Jules
                        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Poor Pumpkin at the dentist's, getting his last tooth extracted...

Comment

I save the seeds to grow more next year one of my chucks laid an egg inside the pumpkin. Not the least bit interested in eating it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X