Another pumpkin question?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pumpkin question?

Here are a couple of pictures of the one and only pumpkin I managed to grow this year, it's supposed to be/is "Jack-o-Lantern" (big fat orange thing with a scary face). It was planted way back in the spring so has had plenty of time to turn into the Halloween pumpkin I had planned.

Q; 1. Is it a pumpkin?
    2. Did I do something obviously wrong, or did it just decide "not" to be a pumpkin?
    3. What do I do with it now, as a green Halloween pumpkin just doesn't work for me?

(yes that is my equally feeble attempt at sweetcorn behind "old greeny").

Any comments welcome, Graham.
    Attached Files

I've grown Jack this year, it doesn't look like that.

Where did you get your seed?
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-10-2011, 03:46 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham K View Post
      that is my equally feeble attempt at sweetcorn
      It's just much, much too close together. Try again next year, spacing them about 18" apart

Comment

No idea if it's a pumpkin or not but it has really suffered with powdery mildew by the looks of it. Totally agree with TS about your sweetcorn although I grow mine with 15" between plants in all directions. I.E. I don't grow them in rows as it's best to stagger them to maximise pollination

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I've grown Jack this year, it doesn't look like that.

Where did you get your seed?
          Seeds were from a very well known and "reputable" catalogue, and I'd probably be in some sort of trouble if I named names, but I have now switched to a rival catalogue as I found the quality and packaging (pictures) to be much better.

Comment

OK, I was mainly wondering if you'd been gifted them

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              It's just much, much too close together. Try again next year, spacing them about 18" apart
              Loads more room next time. Iv'e got an allottment and I'm not afraid to use it!

Comment

Well even big seed companies make packing errors, and pumpkins and squashes are notoriously promiscuous.

I'd suggest writing to the seed company and sending them the photo, they should at the very least give you your money back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X