the beans from runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the beans from runner beans

I have saved a few of these for seeds as I dont like them when the pods go stringy. can they be dried and used as kidney beans? they would look fabulous in a stew or chilli. thanks,

Yes they can. To prevent kidney bean poisoning, boil them for 10 mins before eating, to be safe
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Baldrick, - Yes, TS is quite right, - but don't forget to keep a few beans to plant next year.

a-a

Comment

bum I wish Id saved more now! Thanks peeps.

Comment

We have loads of runner beans still on the vine, which have got too big to eat. You can see there are big beans inside - and they're red.

Do I just take them out and leave to dry further, jar them and use as normal bought dried beans (soak overnight, boil 10 minutes without cover, then about an hour or so till soft)?

I'd appreciate any guidance on this as I've never done it before.
          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

yes, I personally don't jar them but keep them in paper bags. I thought I'd dried some enough one year, and then found them mouldy in the jar a while later..................

Comment

I pick the dryish pods and leave the beans in them somewhere airy for a couple of weeks until the pods are really dry, after which they keep well.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                We have loads of runner beans ... there are big beans inside
                If the beans are still soft (ie, not hard dry & crispy), you can just give them the 10 min boil and then they're ready. You can freeze them too.

Comment

I was a bit scared to try this, in case I'd do something wrong.

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice.

Comment

To be honest, they are my dried bean staple as they are a good size and are prolific. This year I have bought a variety from real seeds which are white and very butter beanesque. As they are a biggish bean they make an ideal meat substitute in some recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                      I was a bit scared to try this, in case I'd do something wrong.
                      The worst you can do is undercook them and give yourself a vicious belly ache

If you get them right, wow! Cheap protein and tasty too. I use the white runners as a butterbean substitute. Having some right now in fact, in a carrot soup

Comment

This topic is featured too on the Vegging Out section.

Is it normal for them to end up a sludgy colour, or does that indicate I didn't leave them long enough on the plant? They were apparently ready, though we've had (the usual) persistent rain most of the time for some weeks here. Would that make a difference?

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X