Winterizing Strawberries in planters

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing Strawberries in planters

I will admit that I have not exactly lavished attention and love on my strawberry plants lately. Some of the leaves have gone brown and they are looking rather dry. Apart from giving them a good water, how should I prepare them for winter? Should I cut the leaves right back? I was planning on just covering the whole planter with fleece and tying it round the middle. I don't really have space to bring them under cover, not even in a shed.
    Also, should I elevate the planter off the ground, on bricks perhaps?

Advice gratefully received!
    Visit my blog if you dare! www.gardenofheathen.wordpress.com

Winterizing ?!

They are fine outside, no need for fleece. Keep them off the ground so they don't get sodden though.

Yes, you should cut off the old foliage - grab it all like hair and scissor it off
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've never found strawbs do well after the first year in containers. I fling them out and take on new plants from runners

Comment

All I do is trim off the brown leaves and leave them alone until spring when I give them a dose of miracle grow to get the foliage going again. Then when they fruit I change to tomorite.

Unlike AP I have had no problems keeping them for 3 years after which new plants are put down.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

my strawberries (terracotta planters) have just in the last few days started to go limp and die off. not sure why. The ones in the plastic stacking planters are going great guns... just as well as I think I am going to need those runners to replace all the dying plants

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
            my strawberries (terracotta planters) have just in the last few days started to go limp and die off.
            Have a look in the pots for vine weevils
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cor, I've not even been taking the leaves off mine - bad parenting here !

[mainly as I forget]
              Last edited by chris; 20-10-2011, 07:08 AM.

Comment

At this time of year I'd just take off any dead leaves but not cut of healthy ones as they'll give protection to the crowns. I cut mine back after fruiting but think it's too late now. As for protection, they're fine, I've often had recently rooted runners in 3" pots just lying about the plot under the snow with no adverse affects.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Have a look in the pots for vine weevils
                  eeugh!!!
                  Do they eat the roots? as I've pulled a couple of plants out and they seem to be just dry light brown crumbly stuff and no roots to speak of

Comment

... and what can I do about it if the blighters are chomping my strawbs?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X