Chuffed at first winter squash harvest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuffed at first winter squash harvest

So many squashes dropped off and rotted that at one point during July I thought there would be none. The largest one is a blue Hubbard and it's about 50cm across it took 2 of us to lift it. Have really enjoyed growing them they are so beautiful. The butternut squash plants were definitely the worst of the lot.

So-o-o-o pretty! And tasty too! Have just converted a Turks Turban into soup after roasting it with onions, tomatoes,garlic and a little chilli. Absolutely phenomenally go-o-o-o-o-d!
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Hi Smiling !! well you really must be smiling, a very nice harvest indeed. Did you have to buy different seed for the various colors / types? or did they come in a mixed packet. Which seed co. did you buy from, please.

a-a

Comment

Great harvest there, what are all the varieties ?)

Comment

Beautiful, well done you
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They all lok loovely....I specially like the look of the smaller blue ones which variety are those please?

Comment

Crown prince and they weigh up to 10lb and taste lovely

Comment

They look superdooper!! Well done you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                  Crown prince and they weigh up to 10lb and taste lovely
                  oh dear, I was hoping they were a smaller version

Cos there's only me to feed I prefer the smaller squashes, that' s all

Comment

Just dont put lots of feed down and they will be smaller. They are worth growing as they are one of the best tasting and they store for ages

Comment

That's a brilliant crop, they look lovely

Comment

I'm officially jealous....good job!

Comment

Brilliant crop,very well done indeed
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Oh thanks for all the lovely replies.

For those who wondered there are

4 Blue Hubbards - includes the humungus one , haven't tried them yet
                            3 little red Uchiki Kuri - there were 7 but we've eaten some , incredibly dense flesh
                            3 Turks Turbans- there were alot of seeds in the little one we tried but it was really sweet in flavour
                            4 Jumbo pink bananas-
                            1 Jack o lantern - did have 3 but given some to the nieces for halloween
                            5 crown princes - can't wait to try them but there skin is so beautiful it seems almost sacrilegious to cut them
                            2 dark green Table Queen acorns (littlest ones)- had one last wee not sure about how ripe it was though as flesh was a bit greenish
                            1 lonely butternut -bounty from 3 plants !!!
                            2 Marina da Choggia - amazing shape ( in the middle) and unbelievably heavy for their size
                            2 Frugosa courgettes - cream and knobbly the skin is so thick and hard I thought I'd see if they store

Am now a squash devotee, trying to work out how I can get more plants into the lotty for next year

Comment

I tried marina di choggia but they don't look like yours - they look more like that big orange jobby on the top right ... mine were obviously having relations with the pumpkins!
                              Lovely looking hord though well done.
                              Last edited by Piggle; 17-10-2011, 04:09 PM.
                              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X