Gooseberries - when to move?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberries - when to move?

I have two gooseberry plants that I bought as twiglets in 2010, kept in pots until I planted them out in the allotment in Spring 2011. They've not fruited yet but are looking happy in a leafy way.

If I want to move the gooseberries to a new permanent space, when would be the best time? Our soil is heavy clay, though it has evidently been improved in the past and we're continuing to do so, and as such is very cold and miserable over winter.
    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Any time after the leaves fall should be ok. be sure to dig in some compost in the bottom of the hole to help with drainage and also sprinkle in some bone meal

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Should have said, it's also a good time to prune them. If you need more bushes, make a slit in the ground with your spade and stick in a cutting. This time next year you will have a new bush . The cuttings take very easily.

Comment

Just what I was doing with mine over the weekend. I wanted to get the last of the fruit out of the garden and into the lottie before the weather worsened.
          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good idea about cuttings - I might plant some from my bushes, which are in the garden, in the allotment.
            Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Stephen, even if you don't need them yourself, it's a good way of producing saleable items to fund local gardening clubs and the like.

Comment

That's a great idea. Mine are still fairly juvenile but one cutting off each plant and I'd have twice as many plants!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X