No announcement yet.

Lazy Asparagus.... Is it still in bed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Asparagus.... Is it still in bed?

I may be panicking, but all my Asparagus crowns are sending up lovely spears, except, the left-hand-side of the raised bed, which co-incidentally, happens to be the 'better drained' side of the bed, but I did grow some very healthy parsley there last summer, which showed vague signs of carrot root fly towards the end of the season....
    On the adjacent side, at the very edge of the other crowns, I grew Leaf Coriander, again, which did superbly.
    Have any of you more experienced/better-read growers than me, ever heard of soil pests other than slugs attacking Asparagus as to why they aren't producing above ground?
    I know about keel slugs, cutworms, vine weevil, leatherjackets etc., so as not to waste anyone's time 'explaining' those to me, but would they or any other 'mystery guest' destroy the crowns/spears completely?
    Lily Beetles are a different kettle of fish, obviously!! but only attack the foliage...
    Perplexed I am, and your help would be much appreciated!

Hi wellie,

Yes,I think you may be panicing.

I've got a fifty crown bed and, although I picked the first spear on the 6th March...spookily early and wrong- most of the crowns are just waking up now. pehaps 50% or less are producing to date and and they are still growing slowly. Its early days yet, and I'm in Sussex.

A few factors like soil temp on that side of the bed; varietals;age of crowns; depth of planting might have a bearing. As far as i'm aware nothing much goes for the roots. Chaffers and those nasties you mentioned might have a nibble I guess; but I can't see them destroying the plant.

It grows wild on the salt-marshes of Tunis in sand. So, to kill pests particularly slugs etc. you, might add salt, normally in March, and at a rate of 1oz per sq yd (you will never know how many books i trawled for that figure!) It will also stop anything else growing, Which, by all accounts is desirable. I am trying it for the first time this year on half the bed. I have never seen a good bed with ANYTHING else planted on it. I would not cultivate around the plants; Just hand weeding.

If they have not appeared by May?The only thing that I know of is Violet root rot. DON'T PANIC!!! but If you've got that your stuffed (technical speak!) and will have to start another bed elsewhere with certified crowns or seed. However, this is VERY UNLIKELY esp. if the bed is not waterlogged. It is the sort of thing that builds up over decades.

Asparagus beetle hibernates on foliage which should be burnt in winter. I still have to spend July picking them/grubs off-I bribe my children!

Comment

Thanks for your great reply Paul, I will be more patient. I don't suspect root rot, so I'll just sit and wait a while longer! Interesting about the salt eh?
      Sorry to put you through all that 'trawling', but you're the wiser for it now too!

Comment

I have lovingly weeded my asparagus beds and even with a bit of finger-poking about can't see signs of any shoots yet.
        I wonder if different varieties crop at slightly different times?
        This is my first year of having a red as well as the green asparagus.
        I was advised to use a mix of salt and sand to dress the soil- the type the council chuck onto the roads.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, I've weeded and finger-poked as well today, with the same results
          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to high jack the thread.....

I planted up crowns a few weeks ago, 1 spear was up on the first plant. Just got back from holiday to find it withered. There has been no frost, not dried out etc etc

Is it time for the compost heap?

Thanks, Mandy

Comment

I'd leave it be for now Mandy and have a poke around if nothing happens by mid May. They should produce a few thin spears this year.
              Maybe it was colder one night than you thought? Our lottie is in a bit of a frost trap

Comment

Thanks Nico's,

I leave them for a bit and see, Mandy

Comment

Traditionally the asparagus season is the six weeks up to mid June. Mine havent peeped over the parapet yet but hopefully my patience will be well rewarded in the comming weeks.

Comment

You are all lucky if they are not up yet. I am picking it shorter than I would normally because once up -it is certainly cold enough to damage the tips at night. I did fleece it up for a few nights but sadly i'm too busy to get to the lottie every night/morning this week.

As far as varietals being early /late etc. I have ginlym, grolym and backlym, Excuse my poor dutch spelling, they are supposed to come up in that order I think but in practice there seems to be very little in it.

I am slightly concerned that i may have overdone the horsemuck top dressing this winter. The crowns were getting shallow so i larded it up for frost protection etc. but i think it is a bit claggy and lumpy on top now. It seems to invite slug damage and too many bent spears. I will use our sandy topsoil next time I think.

Guilty as charged Nicos, I sourced my salt from the parish council grit bin!!!

Comment

The commercial farmer who advised me about the salt supplies asparagus to Harrods etc ..... they said it has to be cut before 11am to hold it's freshness and flavour!
                      This is probably like a wine type thing ...looking for perfection of flavour - I'm just glad to have grown some spears, but would prefer to cut them on a daily basis knowing this!

Comment

Ha PP, I am not the only one then, my salt came from the gritting salt pile at work.
                        Last edited by pigletwillie; 08-04-2007, 02:55 PM.

Comment

And I shall be sourcing mine from the top of our road! Handy that....

Comment

Tut! You'll never forgive yourselves if someone comes aslidin' down the lane next winter.....!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X