Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potatoes

Hi Folks,

I've not posted for a while but have still been lurking, hope everyone is OK.

Anyway back to the subject, I picked my first sweet potato's an hour ago and have just had some chips, not bad at all.

One question though, the crops were a lot longer and thinner then I'd expected, could that be due to feed etc?
    Cheers

Danny

same here but the compost at the bottom was dust dry, despite me watering them the same as the tomatoes!)
    So if I ever feel the need to try them again - I will pay more attention to watering

Comment

Too much nitrogen makes them long and thin, they are happier in fertile soil that's had compost added, rather than being given commercial feeds.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi Danny, nice to see you back. I've never tried sweet potatoes, did you grow them in containers?
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi Danny, I just tried to see your blog, but I got a 404 error
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

Hi FF - I grew them in tyres, I know not everyone’s cup of tea but I have them so use them

Hi TS – Don’t bother with the blog, never started it apart from the initial entry point, and that seems broke now!
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

I don't know if it has any bearing but they do grow a lot of sweet potato's on Madeira,the method used there is to hoe/rake the soil up into long ridges & plant the "seed" on the top,they are then watered by periodically flooding the trenches
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

[QUOTE=broadway;898329]Thanks for the replies all.

Hi FF - I grew them in tyres, I know not everyone’s cup of tea but I have them so use them

That's handy to know, I don't mind growing in tyres, but it's usually pumpkins for me.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've only ever had long thing ones. Put it down to lack of watering and told myself to get my finger out in the future.

My mum's grown them in a container on a sunny patio and got some really nice ones.
                  Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X