Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Identify These Millipede Type Pests Devouring My Carrots and Potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Identify These Millipede Type Pests Devouring My Carrots and Potatoes?

Hi All

I have lifted my carrots and potatoes recently and found these white thread like worms colonised on areas of them where slugs have made their holes. They are generally just over 1/2 inch long and ridged like millipedes and curl into a circle when touched. They have two tiny antennae on their heads like slugs and snails.

I have had carrot fly on my carrots before and they were more small grub like and I dont think these are wireworms looking at pics on the web and as it isn't new ground I'm working.

Any ideas gratefully received.
    Attached Files
    'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

so sorry, I can't see your photos (they're out of focus). If you've got a macro button (usually has a tulip icon), try that?

I'm guessing they're some kind of nematode, possibly they've been living on the slugs & snails that damaged your crops?
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-09-2011, 02:10 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Far too technical for me sorry - tulip buttons and all that - you've seen the level of my camera skills with the photos - it doesn't get ant better I assure you!

I've never used nematodes, so not sure where they would have come from - anyway the blighters have had a veritable feast - maybe it was a case of they needed the spuds and veg to go with the meaty slugs - healthy eating! yuk

Comment

You don't need any camera skills, you just click on the tulip icon and it takes nice clear focussed close-ups for you

There are many kinds of nematodes, not just the ones you can buy.

If they were living on your slugs, then they eat slugs, not carrots. They could be living in the rotting veg, or possibly eating the rot, but they won't have attacked the carrots in the first place

Comment

From what I can see (!) not wireworms - too long and not golden enough. But I can't say what they are tho.

Comment

Spotted snake millipede

http://ucanr.org/sites/santabarbarac...iles/75474.pdf

Comment

Yep Pies them's the little sods,will post a macro pic later as I am bound to find more as I dig up my slug infested Cara's
              Last edited by bearded bloke; 24-09-2011, 11:08 AM.
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Aye, they certainly look like what I have - no question ever seems to be too tuff for the experts on here - Thank You! Only issue now is how to rid myself of the blighters, will follow the instructions to the T and see how I go - Cheers Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                  Spotted snake millipede
                  Brilliant, Pies !
                  Spotted snake millipede - UK Nature Blog

I'd never heard of them nor seen them before.

They seem to be guilty of eating already rotting stuff, so the main cause of your problem Mogs is still slugs.

Normal black millipedes eat my strawberries, I hate them.

You can make a millipede trap out of fine guage wire or something, fill with potato peelings and bury near whatever crop is being attacked. Pull out the trap and tip the millipedes into boiling water or, if you keep chickens, in the chicken run where they will be chomped.
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-09-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Your carrots have split due to irregular watering - this happened to mine last year - and then the baby millipedes move in. I get them in the odd spud too. Very annoying they are.
                    ETA - Ah not babies then. I always thought they were. Interesting. Makes me feel better about killin' em
                    Last edited by Shadylane; 24-09-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X