Strawberries advise

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries advise

I have some Strawberries in hanging baskets that never done very well with there first crop but are now starting to bulge with there September crop however I have no idea what I do after they have fruited (Apart from eating them yum yum)

I would like in time to put them in the allotment has they have these little side shoots on them but I have no idea what to do with them.

I know it may sound daft but I don't want to lose them because this is the first fruit I've ever grown.

Thanks Nigel

Hi Nigel, I'm assuming the sideshoots you refer to are runners. These are planted and will become new plants next year. I personally plant the runners while they are attached to the parent plant untill rooted but I believe they can be cut off when roots are seen & put in pots After 3 years discard your parent plants. Each year you will get new runners.

strawberry runners - Google Search
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 18-09-2011, 05:40 AM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I like to have my runners established before cutting them away from the parent plant.

Check the runner and you will see a nodule with leaves coming from it. I take a 3" pot of compost and peg this part of the runner down to the compost with a clothes peg. After a couple of weeks you will see the runner between the nodule and parent plant start to turn from green to brown. This is a sign the runner has rooted and you can cut it away from the parent and treat it as a separate plate.

Hope this helps Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi Nigel,
        nice to meet you .
        I dont see why you couldnt replant your strawbs at your allotment. Although you need to wait until they are dormant - in the winter when they're asleeep.
        After my strawbs have fruited I generally cut them back - remove all dead leaves/stalks and some fresh ones too. This stimulates them the re-grow.
        With runners, are you able to peg them? Ie put a small compost filled pot under the tiny new plant and peg it into the pot (I actually found using real pegs works well) Then leave them to establish (a month or two..??) and finally cut the cord between the mother plant. Some people suggest bringing these new babies into an unheated greenhouse over winter, personally I dont but I am quite far south so we *generally dont get such a harsh winter as, say Scottish grapes.

I hope that makes sense and is useful

Comment

Thanks guys well I have pegs greenhouse and pots so I'm good to go

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X