My kingdom for some apples.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kingdom for some apples.

Hi I'm new to gardening and to the site.
    I live in Leicester.
    Im on the search for local wild apple trees for making wine and cider. If you know the location of any trees please let me know. If you have too many apples in your garden and don't want them to go to waste I will take them off your hands and make some wine and cider which I will share with you. I'm also new to making wine and cider so I will try not to make a hash of it Any info will be much appreciated.

Are you wanting to use a specific type of apple for cider, ie not dessert apples? Or will you make cider from any old apple you can get?

And, have you tried your local Freegle?
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-09-2011, 07:32 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply.
      I will make cider from any old apples added to my own crab apples.
      I spotted many wild apple trees east of Peterborough on my way to Hunstanton last week, but most of them were on dual carriage ways so I couldn't stop the car. Nothing spotted in Leicester as yet.
      Never heard of freegle. I will have a look.
      Thanks.

Comment

They are everywhere at the moment; I must have seen a good hundred driving back from Oxford yesterday.

The best thing to do is to just drive round some A roads - I saw about 5 on the A50 between Burton and Swadlincote the other day just waiting to be picked.

Comment

Thanks. I'm planning to reconnoitre north leicester this Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            The best thing to do is to just drive round some A roads - I saw about 5 on the A50 between Burton and Swadlincote the other day just waiting to be picked.
            Will tell my brother, that's just near him

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

cant help with apples but I do have access to shedloads of cooking pears!!!

Comment

are you lot as bad as me? i have to drive 50 foot away from the car infront because im too busy looking for my next fruit tree :-)

Comment

Yep!!
                  Always looking up!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                    cant help with apples but I do have access to shedloads of cooking pears!!!
                    LOL it's becoming an obsession.

Comment

Well I had a good drive around north Leicester and found nowt. It was dry as a bone, no wild apple trees only the odd crab (which I have)
                      I will have to park the car up and head off down some footpaths and country walkways that I spotted.
                      Cider man will find those pesky wild trees one way or another.
                      Anyone got a helicopter?

Comment

Did you get some apples?
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I hope so - I still am seeing apple trees on my travels; unpicked and unloved.

Comment

Me too and we still have five crates - come on Zaz, you know you want more
                            Three crates went into mash bucket last night, could handle another three but leaves two over.
                            Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 15-12-2011, 11:52 AM.
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

BTW my only wish for Christmas Mr VVG is to get the RHS Apple Book by the appropriately named Rosie Sanders

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X