Parsnips and swedes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips and swedes

The parsnips and swedes in our raised beds have been exceptional this year. My query is that the foliage on both vegetables has started to turn yellow and droopy. Can I just remove the affected foliage and leave the parsnips and swedes in the ground or do I now need to lift them. Any advice on storage as this is my first year growing vegetables.

yes to both and both will improve once they have had a touch of frost. Not sure about the foliage turning yellow and drooping though. How dry is the ground your way?

Comment

The ground is fine. We have had more rain this August than usual but the ground has drained well, the swedes are an excellent size and the parsnip that I checked on was a decent size for this time of year. It's just the foliage on some of the plants that is yellow and looking tired.

Are you saying take the foliage off and leave the veg in the ground

Comment

Mine have started to yellow, and I dug one up to see if there was a problem. The roots were quite big, a pleasant surprise, but a bit soft which wasn't so pleasant. I think the soil has just been too dry

I've given them a good watering in the hope that they will improve.

Comment

leave leaves on and in the ground. They will continue to grow
          Originally posted by gordoner View Post
          The ground is fine. We have had more rain this August than usual but the ground has drained well, the swedes are an excellent size and the parsnip that I checked on was a decent size for this time of year. It's just the foliage on some of the plants that is yellow and looking tired.

Are you saying take the foliage off and leave the veg in the ground

Comment

Excellent - parsnips look the same here too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X