Whats eating my radish and pak choi ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats eating my radish and pak choi ?

Went down the garden today and was hugely dissapointed to see something has been having an early harvest on my radish and pak choi plants, millions of tiny little holes in the leaves, some like pin pricks and others like bullet holes !!

I searched the leaves top and bottom and the only thing i found was lady birds, nothing else, any one got any ideas whats dining on my dinner ?

Rob.

Flea beetle!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Ok, Thanks for that, not seen anything on the plants themselves.

If it is flea beetle,now having done a search on them it does look very similiar damage, how do i get rid of them, i dont like using pesticides if i can help it, and the grease trap wont work if they are not on the plants, but i also read they are more a summer pest then dissapear again about this time of year, do i just leave them and hope the plants recover ? is the unusual high number of ladybirds feasting on the flea beetle ?

Thanks, Rob.

Comment

They like dry conditions, so try to keep your radishes moist if you can. This will discourage them.

Ladybirds are a coincidence: they don't eat flea beetle, sadly.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Smear some cardboard with Vaseline, hold it above the leaves brushing them with your other hand (the leaves that is); you will catch some as they jump when disturbed, but not all. I am not fussed about them to be honest as they don't eat your radish bulb, just the leaves.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Yeah i picked that up in a search, the problem i got at the mo is the ground is very well draining, prob a bit too much, no matter how well its watered it is bone dry within half an hour, (the surface anyway)

Since planting it has been watered every day without fail as i think everything would soon wilt and die if i did not, so without putting some form of mulch or cardboard down i dont think this would work.

Comment

Yes that was what i thought, but as i have been all over them and found nothing !, i was brushing leaves looking for them to jump off, but did not see one, so doubt that would work.

I agree about not been too worried with the radish, but they are also murdering the pak choi, and obviously i want the leaves off them, however they are very young plants, will they recover ?
              Rob.

Comment

Compost on top will provide you a mulch top dressing. The grease trick does work but you will always be at it.
                Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 14-08-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Well i been down today, been all over the plants looking for bugs, lots and lots of ladybirds, and have noticed thousands of tiny little white flies, they were everywhere, especially over the brocoli, hordes of them on the undersides of the leaves, but looked like the lady birds were having a ball, they were flying about everywhere, never seen so many before, so hopefully they are helping me out !! dont want to resort to sprays unless i really have to.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    Compost on top will provide you a mulch top dressing. The grease trick does work but you will always be at it.

Ok, i have no compost at all yet, only had the garden a few weeks now, may have to go and buy a bag or two from the garden centre (ouch)

Comment

Think people use grass clippings for same reason - not sure as never have - somebody like TS should be able to advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob the Radish View Post
                        thousands of tiny little white flies
                        That's whitefly, a major pest of brassicas. You should remove all dead & dying foliage and weed underneath the crops very well. This won't cure the problem ~ there's really no cure for them

Originally posted by Rob the Radish View Post
                        Ok, i have no compost at all ...may have to go and buy a bag or two from the garden centre (ouch)
                        Garden compost isn't the same as MPC (bought compost). Save your money. A mulch won't stop your flea beetles

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                        Think people use grass clippings
                        Grass clippings make a good general mulch ~ but won't cure the flea beetle problem.
                        The radish leaves aren't much use anyway, so don't worry overmuch.

I suspect the holes in your pak choi are being caused by baby slugs ... if you peel back some layers of the pak choi you'll see them snuggled up within
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          That's whitefly, a major pest of brassicas. You should remove all dead & dying foliage and weed underneath the crops very well. This won't cure the problem ~ there's really no cure for them

They are only small, potted out last week, no weeds under them yet and no dead foliage either.

Garden compost isn't the same as MPC (bought compost). Save your money. A mulch won't stop your flea beetles

Ok, thanks for saving my bank balance a little.
                          Grass clippings make a good general mulch ~ but won't cure the flea beetle problem.
                          The radish leaves aren't much use anyway, so don't worry overmuch.

Not too bothered about the radish, although they look awfull they taste good !!

I suspect the holes in your pak choi are being caused by baby slugs ... if you peel back some layers of the pak choi you'll see them snuggled up within
                          .Same as the rest, still only tiny, think they have only been out the ground just about ten days, nothing to peel back yet, in fact they are smaller than the radish ! but thanks for the tip, i will keep an eye on this as they grow
                          Last edited by Rob the Radish; 14-08-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X