Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries

Hi

I want to plant a new strawberry bed - in a 1mx3m raised bed. It is currently occupied by some pumpkin plants so I dont think I am going to get any strawberry plants into it this year.

Everywhere I have read says take the flowers off new plants if you plant them next spring. But I want some strawberries next summer!!

Can anyone give me any advice on strawberries please!!

Thanks

Strawberry plants should be allowed to grow to maximum size in their first year, so that they can produce large crops in their second to fourth years. It is also a good idea not to allow too many runners, which also draw energy. A plant only has so much energy and it has to be directed where it is most needed or most important.
    If they expend all their energy producing fruit in the first year, the plants won't grow as much, so they may never achieve full cropping (and production of a few runners to replace older plants) in years 2-4.
    Some varieties of strawberries are more vigorous than others, so the vigorous types can usually both crop and grow in their first year. Soils of lower quality will also be less ideal for early cropping.
    From memory of my own experiences, vigorous varieties include:
    Christine, Symphony and Pegasus.
    Weak-growing varieties include:
    Florence and Honeoye
    Last edited by FB.; 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I have two varieties growing at the moment. - Red Gauntlet which really needs a lot of encouragement as it isn't a big cropper although what it does produce is delish and Maxim, which produce a profusion of huge berries. I crop Maxim the first year but then I take on a new row every year and cull a row every year. It works for me.

Comment

As the others have said: you should refrain from picking fruits in their first year, to let the plant build up its roots and grow strong.

April is said to be the best month for planting, but whack some in this autumn if you can get some. Once you have your 'starter' plants, you'll never have to buy plants (or fruits) again
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

grow alpines from seed,later cropping,july,but then fruiting until frosts,we have a largebowlful each week til november,or use them til your ordinary type strawbs are ready to crop on their second year..alpines fruit from year one...

Comment

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the advice. Im going to put some runners in this year that I have been given into a different bed now that should be empty by September - its got sweetcorn in at the moment...and then let them work there magic ready for next summer...yum yum in my tum!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X