Tumbling Toms (again!!) and onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumbling Toms (again!!) and onions

Hi again everyone. My tumbling toms are growing like wildfire and have started to flower. How long after flowering do the tomatoes start to grow? I have been watering them with Tomorite since the flowers started to appear. They look very strong plants with thick stems and lots of flowers.

Also my onions, well they`ve grown long thin and very floppy green shoots which just flop all over the garden. They seem to have come to a standstill. I`m feeding and watering them, is there anything I can do more to encourage them, or are onions just slow growers?

Thanks for your advice

Jeannie

You'd normally start feeding with a feed like tomorite once the first fruit have set.

The flowers will start to drop off, and you'll see tiny fruitlets that have set within a few weeks - usually they're self pollinating, so they'll be pollinated when the flower is open without you, or insects having to do the job.. You may be able to see some fruit that's set already if you look closely at the flowers... sometimes the flowers don't drop off and the tomato just grows and bursts through them

My onions flopped over last year, I propped them up to stop the slugs eating them (I didn't expect them to like onions, but hey ho, they didn't half munch them).

Have they been in long? If you brush the soil back you should be able to see the size of the onions. I've harvested all of mine this year.. usually when the leaves start to yellow / die back they'll be ready.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X