Teeny weeny strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeny weeny strawberries

Not a happy chappy. Came back from a couple of weeks away and my strawberries (if you can call them that) are tiny! Plenty of them but not even as big as rasps, and almost as soft.

Not been much of a fruit grower in the past apart from apples, any advice as to what went wrong?
    Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Sounds like lack of food to me, could be wrong though.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Where are they growing Paul?

Comment

Mine are the same now ~ it's the drought (for me at least)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My main variety is Maxim with berries about 4ozs. Small strawbs are really tasty as well though.

Comment

The older the plants get, the smaller the fruits seem to be. And in dry years the fruit is very small too.
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Strawberries are prone to viral attacks thats why its best to dig em up and start again with fresh plants in a different position every couple of years!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Reckon its the dry weather. I water mine more than any other crop, but its only the rain that makes any proper difference in my experience. Amazing how much bigger they grow after a few downpours.
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Yep, another vote for lack of water here too. You need to water them when they are flowering and beyond if it's dry.
                  http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com

Comment

Lol! Believe me, the one thing we haven't lacked in Glasgow is water! Is been pi...pouring down, and even when we had the dry bit (about a week) they were well watered. and well fed also.
                    It could be location. They've been there a couple of years and it's a patch surrounding a big cut down barrel that I grow a variety of things in. Last year it was a poor yield but decent sized fruit, this year it's quality of the increased yield that's wrong. Me-thinks it's time to start afresh and find a new location. Times like this I wish I had a lotty. Running out of options in the garden!

Comment

here's a pic of a maxim berry and to show I can do magic and make a strawberry disappear
                      Attached Files

Comment

Pure magic thought of the tele have you LOL

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

What happened to the 20p?

Comment

I'm a scotsman matey, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                              I'm a scotsman matey, what do you think?
                              He dropped it and it hit him on the back of the head!

There's the other old gag about copper wire being invented by two Aberdonians fighting over tuppence, but that'd be taking it too far.

So. Back on topic; maxim strawbs are the way to go!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X