first tomatoes of the season.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first tomatoes of the season.

Today i picked my first tomatoes. These were Sungold and Stupice. I have been watching these ripening for what seems like weeks and had to stop myself from picking them before the were ripe. Well it was worth it as the taste was just gorgeous . Well worth all the waiting
    These were sown in the first week of February.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Well done you, Don't tell me all the sungold made back into the house, you must have had a little nibble on the way. LOL

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

BAH - I have sungold.... Think I'm a few weeks of ANY tomatoes!
      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got loads of green tomatoes, Sungold, Gardener's Delight, Bloody Butcher & PW's black. Mind you, I was late sowing this year. The plants are looking good.

Comment

My favourite so far is Yellow Russian from the Heritage Seed Library. It's a beefsteak type and the flavour is fantastic. I'm a bit choosy meself. I'm finding Bloody Butcher bland, PW's Black reasonable - will probably grow it again. But Yellow Russian really has the flavour I like. Only had one or two ripe from each yet but I did sow early.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I am excited for you but also a bit jealous- we have lots of green tomatoes on both our Sweet Millions (Jackson) and the Sun Belles (June and Johnny) but no red/ yellow tomatoes yet!

Ah well, this gardening thing really does teach you patience, huh?

Congratulations, enjoy your home-growns, I am hanging out for mine!

Comment

Still waiting for mine few more weeks yet .would of had the black cherry a few weeks ago I my darling daughter hadn't decided to pitch them to help me when my back was turned picking strawbs .couldn't get mad as she looked so chuffed with her haul when she brought them to memo show how much she was helping ..need to teacher her when it's green try not to be to keen!!
              My year log of growthhttp://http://backgardenfarm.blogspot.com/
              up dated blog 27th june ..pls read if u have the time
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0YjOHl2zI

Comment

Thanks all. Had a few more ripening today as we had wall to wall sunshine.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

One of my Bloody Butchers is going a rather fetching shade of orange

Comment

I think I'll be picking a bowlful this evening: I'm going to keep the gh closed up so it gets REALLY hot in there today
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just green toms for me.. have a few larger large and long truss of fruit, from cherry and sungold but none ripe.

Originally posted by Germinater View Post
                      Still waiting for mine few more weeks yet .would of had the black cherry a few weeks ago I my darling daughter hadn't decided to pitch them to help me when my back was turned picking strawbs .couldn't get mad as she looked so chuffed with her haul when she brought them to memo show how much she was helping ..need to teacher her when it's green try not to be to keen!!
                      Keep them somewhere warm and they may ripen - iirc it's the heat that'll ripen tomatoes - or failing that if you've a lot there's a really nice green tomato chutney recipe in the season to taste forum

Comment

ooooh, I think mine know I have been talking about them - the ones at the back are starting to blush!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I almost have one or two tomatoes that are nearly getting slightly towards being that sort of colour, Soph.

Comment

Picked my first Maskotka last weekend but my cordons are a while off yet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've got a russian lemon that's almost ripe yee-haw!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X