Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With onions, when is a good time to expose the top of the bulb to the sun?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With onions, when is a good time to expose the top of the bulb to the sun?

OR are they suppose to be always showing? worried i have maybe planted them a bit too deep

Wait a bit longer until they really start to swell and then they may push themselves out.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I usually find that they find their own level. When did you plant them, and how deep? Seeds or sets?

Comment

not something I've ever considered because they do seem to sit on top of the soil pretty naturally for me.

Comment

A photo might help...

Comment

Not sure I fully understand the question. If you use sets you only partially bury when you plant out so they're always on show and even with seeds, the tops make themselves visible as they grow so I've never needed to expose them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I bury my sets completely, just so the tip of the strawy bit is poking up and they always end up on the surface - unless they're a couple of inches down I really wouldn't worry.
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
                OR are they suppose to be always showing? worried i have maybe planted them a bit too deep
                At the moment they won't look as if they're doing much except make top growth because they don't start 'bulbing up' until after the longest day - which was only a few days ago, and they won't finish growing for a while yet. Most of ours still look like giant spring onions, the green tops will fall sideways and start to turn yellow then brown when they're ready to dig.

We'll be giving ours a potash feed soon, ish. It helps root growth.

Comment

I plant my onion sets so the top is just showing. My march planted ones are nearly ready to dig, the tops are browning and beginning too flop and my shallots are even more advanced. The seed sown ones are bulbing up nicely but I don't expect them before mid august.
                  History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X