Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three cotyledon leaves on my pumpkin?

I think I might be growing a mutant...

I planted two Hooligan mini-pumpkin seeds about ten days ago or so. Both have come up, I'm very happy, only one of them took a while longer to raise its head and when it did it had not two but three cotyledon leaves!

Does this happen? Will it grow ok despite its extra bits?

I have attached a photo of the Mutant on its own and one with his more traditional, two-leaved friend.
    Attached Files

It should grow fine, it happens occasionally and not just with pumpkins. If you use the search function, I remember a few threads from a couple of years ago on this. I seem to remember they even compared plant growth... Dang memory like a sieve at the moment..sorry
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I had a wee search but couldn't narrow the cotyledon results down to show those with three - there are a LOT of threads about the two leafers!

thanks though, that is reassuring. Might do some growth comparing of my own if they both make it

Comment

I don't think it is anything to worry about. Please let us know how it gets on.
        Last edited by rustylady; 20-06-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I had several a couple of years back - tomatoes and peppers. I decided to see if they continued to produce extra leaves but they didn't! I did some googling and read that about 1 in 46 seedlings, or something fairly specific like that, produced a tricotyledon. I don't believe this. I've grown a darned sight more than 46 seedlings in my life!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I had this with lots of the marigold 'naughty marietta' seeds I planted this year! I would say at least about 10-15% of around 60 seeds that germinated. I wondered if it was the particular batch (wilko brand, would that make a difference? ) or just one of those things?
            Anyway they grew up and are now flowering so it doesn't really matter anyhoo

Here they were not long after germinating.
            Attached Files

Comment

well the three leaved pumpkin seems to be doing ok- on its second set of true leaves with the buds of a third, whereas the two-leafer is struggling with the second. Both are still smaller than my squash and courgettes planted at the same time though.

Old mutant three leaves is still a bit mutant too; where all my other curcubits are putting out their leaves in sets of two at 180 degrees to each other three leaves is putting them out in threes, all 120 degrees or so apart. I am nerdily facinated!
              Last edited by Kiwi_Soph; 13-07-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X