pak choi woe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pak choi woe

Having problems with my pak choi , growing it in pots and it comes up great , but as it starts to get bigger something keeps gnawing away at the stems and it all collapses. Have tried putting it up on a window ledge and also protecting with a cloche. Any ideas ?

Sorry can't help bt sure someone here can ..sounds like a job for miss marple..
    My year log of growthhttp://http://backgardenfarm.blogspot.com/
    up dated blog 27th june ..pls read if u have the time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0YjOHl2zI

Comment

It will probably be slugs, they love pak choi - if you peel away the leaves you'll find the really tiny wee slugs curled up inside
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-06-2011, 06:28 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Will slug pellets around the pots stop such small slugs ? Can't believe how much i am having to cover this year , have plastic covering spinach , lettuce , pak choi , courgettes and rocket! I take off a cover on my lettuce for 10 mins , come back and a sparrow is munching!

Comment

The best thing to do with slugs is to go out in the garden after dark with a bucket of salty water. You'll see loads
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Will have a go , think that maybe all this wet weather has encouraged more than usual , haven't seen many slimy trails though. What do you do with the slugs you find ?

Comment

I snip them in half with a pair of scissors. I'm guessing by TS saying a bucket of salty water, that she chucks them in there

Comment

Don't think I could snip in half , but you are guaranteed that you will never see the same ones every night(might not be saying that after another few days of things being mysteriously eaten overnight). Do woodlice eat your young plants also?
                Last edited by skell43; 19-06-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skell43 View Post
                  Don't think I could snip in half , but you are guaranteed that you will never see the same ones every night(might not be saying that after another few days of things being mysteriously eaten overnight). Do woodlice eat your young plants also?
                  No - well, not from live. They only eat dead things so if something else has munched them and left bits then they will. they are usually the gardener's friend so if you have woodlice then you have stuff that is drying lying around.

Comment

I can't help, i just wanted to say i love the title of this thread.

Comment

It could be the Chinese food mite. Known to attack oriental brassicas. A hungry mite that devours pak choi and frequently helps himself to more half an hour later. Take away from plot in small plastic containers......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Have you tried a smear of petroleum jelly around the outside of the pot? I'm trying this with some of my buckets of veg. Really don't know if it will work, but I'm giving it a go anyway.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I heard on Gardeners Question Time (first time listening yesterday on iplayer) that it could be flea beetle - it looks like little holes in the leaves, like it has been shot with mini pellets. That is certainly what happened to mine last year. So this year, I covered with fine nettine. So instead, they have bolted, so chickens enjoyed them!!

Hoping to get some planted with bit more success.

Comment

Have suffered from the little holes in the leaves problem last year , also on my rocket too. But this year the pak choi go great guns from seed , then half of them collapse as the stems are almost broken. Would love to grow them to a size where the stems are large and crunchy but having to make do with smaller leaves going in stir frys. Will give the p jelly thing a go also!

Comment

Pak Choi

Having the same problem, is there any sprays or powder out there to control this problem?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X