Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries

We planted one cane of raspberries about 4 years ago and the original cane has spread to encompass about 2/3rds of the top of our small garden, obviously it likes the situation and the soil and despite my efforts to cut back we still have large sweet fruit from May to August and another crop in November....and yes, I have been able to eat fruits as late as early December, although watery and not very nice! What I want to know is the best way to cut back and at what time of year.....West Midlands, south facing garden...help please..

It's no good just cutting back. If you look at your canes you will see that they produce suckers/runners around the base of the original plant. You will need to dig or pull these out.

Comment

Raspberries are real thugs if they get away with it. after they have finished fruiting this year, decide how many plants you want then dig that number of new canes up and heel in until you are ready for them, Then, dig out the rest, clean up the ground and then plant your new canes 18" apart. Therafter, in future years, prune out new growth to no more than 8 canes per stool and prune out any others. If any new canes develop from the roots outwith your planting area, be ruthless and dig them up.
      Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 22-06-2011, 12:48 PM. Reason: Inserting the missing c's. keyboard wonky :(

Comment

Thanks! I will arm myself with gardening gloves and hefty secateurs and a spade, and following advice, will be ruthless! Much obliged to all for advice x

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          Raspberries are real thugs if they get away with it. after they have finished fruiting this year, deide how many plants you want then dig that number of new anes up and heel in until you are ready for them, Then, dig out the rest, lean up the ground and then plant your new canes 18" apart. Therafter, in future years, prune out new growth to no more than 8 canes per stool and prune out any others. If any new canes develop from the roots outwith your planting area, be ruthless and dig them up.
          i would let them fruit first...lovely...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X