last chance runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last chance runner beans

When is the last date I could put out runner bean plants please to get a good crop.

I have had some planted out now for a few weeks. I did experiment and planted out chitted and non chitted beans straight into the ground about 15 in all and only 2 chitted ones are growing as a last resort I planted 4 in a pot in my non heated lean to conservatory and they have sprouted and grown so quick in a couple of days that I know think this is the way to go in future

My sweetcorn and potatoes are growing in a nearby patch so I dont think its the soil.

So can anyone give me some advice, if I started some more beans in pots have I still time or is it too late.

Thanks
    Last edited by daisygrubber; 14-06-2011, 10:29 AM.
    Kaye x

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."

You'd be fine to sow now, I should think, DG (alternatively, buy a pot put in the garden centre if you can find them) - runners really romp away once they are up and running. You won't get the biggest crop in the world, but I would say it is worth doing.

Comment

I'd get some more going now - as you say, things just romp along at this time of year. I sowed some brassica's 2 weeks ago that have overtaken those sown at the beginning of April! It could just be that the soil you planted your beans in just wasn't right for germination in some way, but your seedlings will be fine. I tend to plant out beans rather than sow direct, although everyone is different. Good luck!
      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to pot some up and get them out. Nothing to lose really.

Happy gardening
        Kaye x

Comment

The year we had the floods in June, i lost most of my beans so sowed and planted replacements in july and was still picking until just before xmas.
          Tomorrow i will be planting about 10, sowed in the greenhouse 10 days ago, as replacements for some lost in the heat wave.
          So get cracking
          Roger
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thank you Roger that is exactly the info I needed to hear. I have planted some more in pots a little while ago so will look forward to eating them for a while to come.

Many thanks
            Kaye x

Comment

Assuming you are eating the beans green then they'll be fine put in now. You need to get a wriggle on early if you are growing drying beans though.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                Assuming you are eating the beans green then they'll be fine put in now. You need to get a wriggle on early if you are growing drying beans though.
                No i'm not doing drying beans this year but I am tempted to have a go next. As a first year grower I am experimenting just with the basics this
                Last edited by daisygrubber; 15-06-2011, 10:22 AM.
                Kaye x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X