Swede & Kaler conundrum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swede & Kaler conundrum

I plan to grow Kale & Swede for over-wintering but I've currently not got any spare room in the raised beds.

Room will become available once I start harvesting 1st & 2nd earlies (among other things) but that won't be for another month at least.

What I plan on doing is sowing Swede & Kale into 3'' pots before planting out once space is available.

The question is - when is the latest I can realistically sow Swede & Kale to ensure they can be moved into beds before becoming too big for the pots?

Thanks

Kale will be fine sown in pots or cell trays now - not sure about swede though
    Last edited by rustylady; 14-06-2011, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I planted my kale in the center of my runner bean rows last week. I do it every year.
      Sweeds and white turnips i grow as a catch crop in my summer cabbages rows. over the few weeks the cabbages will be all picked leaving the sweeds to grow unhindered. It works for me.
      Roger
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Depends on the size of the pot - like arpoet I put my brassicas in any spaces so that as things are harvested the babies can have the space and grow on.....currently I am planting cabbages in between overwintered onions that are being harvested over the next few weeks.
        Last edited by zazen999; 14-06-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question, however I have a related question. I sowed swede in cells to replace half a row that I thought had been lost but then they miraculously reappeared. The ones in the cells are doing very well and need planting out, but I won't have any room until some potatoes come up. If they were leeks I would put them in a seedbed and then replant them later. Can swedes deal with being transplanted twice?

Comment

I have never transplanted sweeds. I too sowed a packet direct and thought they were done for in that hot weather so sowed more in the same places and ... whooosshhhhhh.. got 100s now after the rain.
            roger
            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X