Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime or no lime? (or maybe manure)!!

Hi Everyone

Got the key on Friday for my very uncultivated 255 square yards of growing space...aka allotment!

Went up there on Friday night just gone - just to reassure myself that I have done the 'right thing'! Had a bit of a wade through the weeds and found all manner of things buried away undisturbed - including a tent!!

Anyway - went back on Saturday with an army of helpers and we managed to clear out quite a bit of weeds etc. My initial plan is to plant out all the greens that ive got left over in my greenhouse at home and then go at it a bit at a time. Managed to get a reasonable size cleared for now - but due to the time of year I know that I need to get what I have got left planted out soon...

Ive been told by new allotment neighbours that my plot hasnt been looked after properly on and off for two years or so. The actual soil is quite heavy clay. Is it worth adding any lime to the soil now before planting the greens? - or the other option that I have is stable manure as the allotment holders there have an arrangement with a local stables to deliver it in.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Heavy Clay - nice! I have it and it's fab for the nutrients.

I'd put cardboard down with the manure on top. Then clear a bit and plant up. You can plant through cardboard if it's mega weedy so get the perennials out, put the card down and make a hole [I use a bulb planter] and plant - then put the plug of soil back on top and it keeps the weeds down.

Comment

I'd just use the manure and cardboard as Zazen suggests. If you are concerned at all about the pH of the ground, then get yourself one of these cheap kits and do a wee test. I would think that after two years of abandonment, the ground will be okay - if you find a lot of butterdups (creeping or otherwise) that would indicate that adding lime would be beneficial.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also have heavy clay, and have tried the traditional method of digging out the weeds. I would defo recommend zazen's method, which your brassicas will love (the one true benefit of heavy ground). Smothering now is far more sensible it will also help keep moisture in which is a bit problem with clay soil as when it bakes it cracks and becomes very difficult to do anything with.

Three years on, on my plot and the ground is starting to bend to my will, but I could have definately saved myself a lot of digging had I followed zazens way.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X