Help With Leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Leeks

Hi, my query is about leeks!!! I was hoping someone hear could help me? I have planted leeks in trays although they aren't very deep. It took a month for them to germinate and they are now getting quite tall. Can I now transplant them into my raised bed? Also should I maybe cover them with anything or not bother?
    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 28-03-2007, 08:48 PM.

leeks

Hi, I think leeks are pretty hardy. What you need to do is use a dibber and make a hole about 6inches deep. drop a leek in and fill up with water. Last year I started leeks off in trays, this year, I started them off by sprinkling about 30 seeds in a six inch pot. At present thay are hardening off in the cold frame, before I plant them out this weekend. I would harden them off in your cold frame before planting them out. Also some netting over the top off them will keep the birds at bay as they can be prone to being nibbled at. hope this helps.

Comment

Keep them in seedbed or trays until they are 8 in tall and width of a pencil.
      This would probably in May.
      Use a dibber to make a hole about 6 inches deep and drop in the baby leek.
      Fill the hole with water not soil and leave them to it.

Mike
      I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by berksmike View Post
          Keep them in seedbed or trays until they are 8 in tall and width of a pencil.
          This would probably in May.
          Use a dibber to make a hole about 6 inches deep and drop in the baby leek.
          Fill the hole with water not soil and leave them to it.

Mike
          Hiya - sorry to barge in

When you say 'keep them in ... trays until they are 8 in tall and width of a pencil', could you tell me what depth trays would support this kind of growth?

I have a horrible feeling mine are in too shallow a tray to stay there until they've grown to that size

Comment

A standard seed tray will be fine and that is what mine will be in until the early potatoes are out of the ground in June and free up some space.

Comment

I agree with pigletwillie.
              If you want to save space a number do perfectly well in 3 in pots.
              I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                A standard seed tray will be fine and that is what mine will be in until the early potatoes are out of the ground in June and free up some space.
                Phew! Thanks for making me feel better

It's my first time growing anything, and I have seedlings practically growing out of my ears - I'm terrified they're all going to die on me because they've all started off so well

(Oh, and sorry I didn't reply straight away - I got distracted by work )

Comment

I'm starting to get moss growing in my tray of leeks!!!!! Are they getting to much water?????

Comment

Yes, I would say so Chicky.
                    [

Comment

Yo Chicky, If you're using peat based compost, it's running home to momma. The stuff just thinks it's back in the bog and reproducing. If you can gently tease it off without damaging the leeks and top the tray up with more compost, you can put the moss in a bag and leave it unger the bench for two years and it will decompose into more compost. Failing that, just leave it where it is, it won't do any harm.
                      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X