Cape Gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Gooseberries

Is anyone else growing Cape Gooseberries this year? I can just see my very first flower coming on 2 of mine! When do they fruit?

Having looked only yesterday on the search threads, I wish I had done this before as I didnt realise they were such big plants - I got the seeds from another grape who wrote on the packet that they "grow big" I was expecting a coupla feet but apparently they grow 4-6 feet! Oooops! And I've growing 4!!!
    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Ooh, mine are still only about 4'' but think that's cos I used Arthur bower dirt which has proved not be very good for lots of my seeds this year. Back to b&q stuff next year!
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I've got 3 plants grown from seed (from Real seeds), and they're chugging away nicely but still only small, 6 inches tall and 8 inches wide.

All 3 are in big pots (40cm wide), cos limited on ground space, so will be interested to see how they go. Will try to get one in the ground if I can tho.

Never grown them before either.
      Last edited by Paulieb; 10-06-2011, 10:54 PM. Reason: Added coment.
      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
      William M. Davies

Comment

I've got 3 plants going, still quite small although they all have a couple of fruits on. When I grew them previously they did end up massive plants! 6ft tall sounds about right and very bushy.

Comment

I've grown these in the past, all I can say is...

...They take over the world

Mine perished with powdery mildew, but not until I'd had lb's of fruit off it. If I remember rightly I was picking them till October time. Lovely dipped in melted chocolate.

I've found this quote:-

" The fruits are usually picked from the plants by hand every 2 to 3 weeks, although some growers prefer to shake the plants and gather the fallen fruits from the ground in order to obtain those of more uniform maturity". Hope this helps.

Comment

Im only growing one bought plant since my cat trampled my cape gooseberry seeds and tomatillo seeds
            Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Really?! 6ft? These are my two... tried with them before but this is the first time they germinated. The pots are 10", I thought they would just stay in those pots in the greenhouse... I guess not.

Attached Files
              pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

In a greenhouse they will go mental. I grew 1 in a conservatory that was up to the roof and arched over lol

Comment

There are 2 heights of the Cape Gooseberry. I got mine from this supplier: Interseeds items - Get great deals on Flower Seeds, Vegetable items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
                    There are 2 heights of the Cape Gooseberry. I got mine from this supplier: Interseeds items - Get great deals on Flower Seeds, Vegetable items on eBay.co.uk Shops!
                    That 'dwarf' version still grows up to 90cm, which is basically a metre cubed like all Cape Gooseberries.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      That 'dwarf' version still grows up to 90cm, which is basically a metre cubed like all Cape Gooseberries.
                      So essentially, either cordon or bush?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X