Could greenfly be killing my Courgettes and Melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could greenfly be killing my Courgettes and Melons

I initially thought that my serpente di sicilia, midnight courgettes and minnesotta midget melons had really suffered because of the hight winds last week, that was until today when, shock horror, another of my serpente plants started wilting.

Its been a lovely day today so can't blame the winds. On closer inspection of the back of the plants I see, what in my untrained eyes look like greenfly.

Let me show you some pics.

Am I correct? Can greenfly do this?
    Attached Files

looks like a combination of cold, wind and whatever the things are, [the pics a bit blurry so I can't tell what they are]

Comment

Its the green dot on the back of the leaves I am on about. The other pics are just of some of the plants dying!

Comment

The pale brown crispy bits are wind damage.

The wilting would suggest they haven't been hardened off properly ...?

Greenfly will further weaken an already poorly plant (a robust plant will shrug them off on the most part). You need to squish them as soon as they appear to keep their population controllable.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

TS is spot on.

I fear the damage was done before today (cold and draughty) and you are only just seeing the effects now.

I suspect your plants weren't "big" enough to cope with their current location - curcurbits are notorious for keeling over when treated only slightly badly - and I suspect you will see the stem rotting next.

However, if you can shelter them you may be lucky and they survive but whenever mine look like that I know it is time to re-sow - sorry!
          Last edited by teakdesk; 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM.
          The proof of the growing is in the eating.
          Leave Rotten Fruit.
          Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
          Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
          Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Yea I have resowed already and they were definitly hardened off. Oh well, c'est la vie

Comment

Incase you haven't, you can sow your courgettes directly outside now [in pretty much most places, not sure where you are]

Comment

I put five out last week only for them to be thoroughly winded.

I noticed damage just like yours, so left them in and have been keeping an eye on them.

One has turned up its heels and died, and two are looking a bit sickly still... however two have rallied and had put on some new growth in the 2 days since I saw them last. So don't lose all hope, yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X