another onion and garlic question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another onion and garlic question

The leaves on my garlic and onions are dying off and so it is probably time to take them out of the ground. Is there any harm in leaving them in and will they get any bigger, especially if we get some good rain?
    Slowly takes it!

I don't think that they will grow any more once the leaves are dying back. Lift them and take advantage of the dry wether to dry them well and then plant some thing else in their place.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

They could be ready or they could have white rot - give one a tug and if it comes out easily; and has rot at the bottom - you may have a problem. If it doesn't come out easily; then you can lift them or leave them until all the leaves are dried back and then lift them.

Comment

Onions might well be ready, but I'd wait for them to flop (a lot of sets should go over the next four weeks). Seems a bit early for garlic though. Some of the outer leaves of garlic tend to yellow (particularly in strong sun) whilst the bulb are filling. You could pull one to see what's what, but I might leave them a few more weeks.
        Garden Grower
        Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

I had to dig myonions up as the rot was starting. They are now sliced and in the freezer.

Ian

Comment

Oh, how do you freeze onions, never thought of doing that, what a good idea?
            Slowly takes it!

Comment

Originally posted by lesleygl View Post
              Oh, how do you freeze onions, never thought of doing that, what a good idea?
              Just peel and slice or chop, whichever you prefer, and bung them in the freezer.

Comment

Simples!.....
                Slowly takes it!

Comment

if white rot is present, you won't need to tug, the plant will just lift away without any resistance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X