Pumpkins Squash & Green Manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkins Squash & Green Manure

Would it be feasible to plant green manure on the pumpkin patch at the same time as the pumpkins and let the pumpkins grow over the emerging green manure?

I have just cleared the patch and do not want to weed amongst the pumpkins and squash. Another idea might be to lay a membrane of black weed control fabric!

Would either work?

Loving my allotment!

the pumpkins will shade out most weeds - inc any green manure you sow
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I wondered about weeding as my pumpkin patch is going to be rather large this year (!), so thanks TS.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi, you could use membrance, as you mentioned, which I've done in previous years and it works well, plus it keeps the soil warm. What I also do is to heavily mulch with straw, which seems to stop the worst of the weeds, and gives the squash something to "rest on" when they are growing. I've bought bales of straw for £3, so it's a cheap option, with the added bonus of adding organic matter to your soil
        http://promenadeplantings.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've tried straw before 1066, but had a problem with slugs, loads of them. Did you not find this?

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            I wondered about weeding as my pumpkin patch is going to be rather large this year (!), so thanks TS.
            That's what I'm doing - I've 4 beds on a plot that I'm not weeding -I've about 60 odd squash that are going to be planted all over the shop.. hoping that they'll at leave smoother the weeds

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            I've tried straw before 1066, but had a problem with slugs, loads of them. Did you not find this?
            Thats odd - supersprout's posts went on about how she didn't have much of a weed problem and she mulched heavily with straw.

Comment

Hi, no I haven't experienced major problems with slugs, when I tried using membrane and straw I expected to have to be extra vigilant. But so far, cross fingers and all that, I don't have a big problem with them on my plot. However, in the garden (walled) they are a major menace, and my courgettes used to take a battering!

The other thing I forgot to say was that I found using a cover kept the moisture in the ground, so once the plants were established I didn't have to water much

Hope that helps

Comment

this year I have planted my pumkins through empty rice sacks from an Indian restaurant (my husband is a chef there). They are not hessian but synthetic but work the same as black membrane plus they are free and I am doing my bit for recycling. I also use their empty mango chutney barrels for growing in. worth asking at your local restaurant

Comment

Thats odd - supersprout's posts went on about how she didn't have much of a weed problem and she mulched heavily with straw.[/QUOTE]

It was in the strawberry bed Chris. I put the straw under the fruit and I've never seen so many slugs, they loved it. Haven't done it since!

Comment

that's interesting Florence Fennel, as a lot of advice says to lift the strawbs off the ground so the slugs etc don't get to them, and one of the ways is using straw!
                    Hope you have more success this year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X