Halo Blight - French Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo Blight - French Beans

I have just been told by Mr D that he thinks we have to dig up and burn our ENTIRE stock of french bean plants as he has identified Halo Blight using our Dr Hessain Veg Expert.

Is this really the case - we seem to have failed 3 years on the trot with French Beans now

Can I sow some more?

How can I prevent this? - Dr H says never to soak seeds first but we never do

Please help as feeling a bit disheartened now
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

It looks like a dark spot with a bright yellow ring around it. Is this what you've got?
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Yes VVG - any suggestions?
      Tammy x x x x

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Pull them up! Could be infected seed or water bourne. Have you watered from collected rainwater or a tap? I always use tap for reasons like this. Also try not to splash leaves of plants. Water at the base of the plant. My other half always uses a rose or sprinkler hose which only wets your plant tops. Buy a fresh batch of seed - you're not too late!
        Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 29-05-2011, 02:22 PM.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Can you post a pic Tammy? It's not too late to plant some more but according to this information, halo blight is carried on the seeds and if one is infected they will all be. I'd recommend getting some fresh seeds if you're going to have a go.
          Depending on how bad it is it also says you may be able to remove affected leaves rather than necessarily binning the lot.
          Good luck.

Comment

Are the seeds your own saved seed? Do you store them in a cold dark place? If the beans have holes or show shrinkage or wrinkling then they shouldn't be used. It doesn't taunt your soil so don't panic on that count.

Comment

Mr D just found this link - Halo blight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - which gave me the inkling it could be my seed - just as I was about to sow the whole lot. Although the seeds look fine they are bbe 2010 so it would have been risky getting them to germinate but I am going to bin them too. Maybe this is why they have failed for 3 successive years - poor seed - mind you the past two years we just had plants and no crop! - grrrrrr

Has anyone got any spare seeds? If not its a trip to the garden centre - half term with 4 kids - I think not! LOL!
              Tammy x x x x

Comment

What were they, dwarf or climbing? And how many were you hoping to grow?
                Last edited by Incy; 29-05-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

They were dwarf - dont have room for climbing ones as all potential space has been taken up with the runners. We dont have a plot so space is always limited and we only had around 30 plants. Even 5-10 would be appreciated and I dont mind paying for them and/or sending an SAE

xxxx
                  Tammy x x x x

Comment

I'll have a rummage in my seed box and see what I can do for you Tam. I saved loads last year so if I can identify the varieties I should be able to sort you out. I definitely had a few dwarf types even though I tend to prefer climbing beans as you get more for the space with a few canes tied at the top
                    I already have your address so no probs there

Comment

Thanks Incy - I was directed to the real seed company by Janet (via FB) and have just done an order. If you do send me some I now have some REALLY interesting things to send you he he he he
                      Tammy x x x x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X