Tree Onions Flowering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Onions Flowering

Got some off Real Seeds last year and they're just starting to 'flower' (I know they don't flower but I dunno what you'd call it). What do you tree onion growers out there do with yours? Do you leave the main bulb in the ground or harvest it? Also, is it true the main bulb can multiple aswell? It's all quite exciting

So it was you that nabbed all the seeds before I got there?

These are the ones that "walk", right?
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Yeah that's the ones - sorry bout that - I only bought 4 though - and only 3 made it. Tell y what - if get a decent batch of bulbils I may send u a few

Comment

Yeah, you just leave them be. They will fall over and regrow in the old place and the new place.
        From my first 13 bulbils; I put about 4 in the [stolen] pass the parcel, leaving 9 and I got IIRC at least 280 small bulbils from that. I have since planted them in schools and given loads away, sold them on ebay ect; and still the original plant grows and the 3 that I let fall are regrowing.

They are amazing and a good talking point!

Comment

How much space do they need? I wouldn't want them walking all over my parsnips.

As I missed out this year, I'll have to grow yours vicariously. Keep us posted. With pictures please.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I've got 4 growing that a ex-member on here gave me up to yet they're still in the looking like a spring onion stage.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

As I missed out this year, I'll have to grow yours vicariously. Keep us posted. With pictures please.
              As much as about 3 onions squished together - each year they wander a little further from the last.

Comment

I presume they're just as edible as normal onions? Are they a fiddle to prepare/peel?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

Aye, what he said ^

A friend promised me some last year but they never materialised so I'll be watching your progress eagerly too.
                  The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                    I presume they're just as edible as normal onions? Are they a fiddle to prepare/peel?
                    Weeeell, they are onions...so yes.

However they are RIDICULOUSLY fiddly so I just give mine away/sell them on. If you want ones to pickle or cook; you will need the catawissa type.

Comment

So you don't eat them at all Zazen, just grow them for the fun of it? I'm away next week but I'll post a few piccies when I gets back.

Comment

Ok I finally got round to posting piccies as promised. They haven't produced many bulbils (3 decent sized ones per plant - see pics 3 & 4) and the onion at the base is about 1 1/2 inch at a guess. One has done it's 'tree thingy' and sent out a stalk producing more, but smaller bulbils. These are the about the same size as the original sets I got from Real Seeds (see pic 5) so should be fine for planting.

The good thing is that the first set of bulbils are a little big bigger than a decent sized garlic clove so shouldn't be too fiddly for peeling and pickling. They're supposed to be related to the catawissa strain. Sylvan and mrb I'm pm-ing you
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Shadylane; 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the photos Shadylane now I know what to expect from mine this time next year.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

No worries, hope y get some good uns

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X