Rocket potatoes... how much longer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket potatoes... how much longer?

At least i think they were Rockets, they were an extra early kind anyway! I dug up a plant today to see what was what, and found a number of 5p sized tubers.

How much longer till they are their final size, do you reckon? *is impatient and needs yummy spudness as soon as possible!* Should I try digging up another plant in a coupl weeks?

We're still very very dry here in Essex but they get a good thorough soaking at least twice a week- not just a sprinkle on the leaves but a proper watering.

I planted them in early March but they did get frosted a couple weeks ago which has obviously set them back somewhat.

I normally wait until after they have flowered, and the leaves start to loose a bit of their colour, then take them all out of the ground. I tend to go for quantity though, so will leave a little longer in the ground than some others.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

10 - 12 weeks should do it. I know they say Rocket is faster (though I don't think much of its flavour) but frosts and lack of rain won't help.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If you planted them in early March then something as set them back as Flum says 10-12 weeks is normal. When you say dug up I presume they are in the ground as opposed to containers, did you prepare the ground with fertilizer?.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

oh yes, loads of well rotted manure dug in over winter and some packet stuff as well on planting

I understood Rocket didn't flower? Some others I am growing have started to flower, and they were planted slightly later than the Rockets and weren't frosted as badly.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on the leaves, although I wanted to stagger harvesting them really, say over a few weeks?

Comment

I agree with Flum. Having grown Rocket in the past for an early crop I found the taste and texture of the potatoes poor. You will not get good sized tubers if the plants don't have adequate water and from what I hear it has been a very dry start to the season in Essex.

Comment

Funnily enough I tipped out my bag of Rocket today which had flowered?! I have about 3/4 bucket of decent sized spuds. Ham, egg and cheese salad with fresh boiling of first new spuds. I grew these in a bag and watered most days. I gave them organic potato feed bought from Ryton.
              Will try and post a picture.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Ah, must be one of my other kinds that won't flower then!!!

(yeah, I'm not the most organised of gardeners...)

Comment

Am eating them now and am in tattie heaven.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

*consumed with jealousy*

Comment

They won't be long. Keep watering! It's key to your yield. It was nice having my own lettuce, pea shoots, radish too; just want to stop buying Toms, cukes and spring onions!

Comment

VVG its very naughty to tease people like that.

But having said that I had lovely new Accord with lamb and runners from last year with a little mint sauce for tea and SWMBO makes a lovely gravy.

Colin in Heaven
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Am not teasing, but ooh they were gorgeous;-)
                          I am still waiting for my broad beans which are an inch long...grrr...whilst my neighbour's allotment has nice fat long pods (which they're not picking!)...why man upstairs, why?????

We are all waiting for something. Think I planted these potatoes at beginning March.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X