Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes in hanging basket

Hi
    last year I grew 1 garden pearl in the top of a hanging basket.
    Can I grow this variety hanging from the bottom of the basket with a tumbling tom at the top.
    Or even two garden pearls, one top and one bottom.
    Or should I just stick to one per basket.
    Last edited by mrscorpio; 24-05-2011, 07:41 AM.

It really depends on the size of the basket. I grow tumbler one per basket I think they are to vigorous to put two plants to a basket. The other point is that you would be a slave to your watering can if we have a hot spell.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi
      thanks for your reply.
      Without looking I think they are 14" baskets. I have them on a self watering system and only do them by hand when they need a feed.

As per your advice I will go for 1 tumbling tom in a basket.

However i will have 1 spare basket for experimenting.

What I really need to know, can I grow a garden pearl from the bottom of this spare basket ( I will be putting one in the top as well) It just sounds odd to me that you can grow a plant upside down.
      With my luck it will have a heavy crop of toms and the whole plant will fall out of the basket.
      Last edited by mrscorpio; 25-05-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

what you could do is a circular basket, joining two together, and put one in the bottom and one in the top

Comment

I'd try it anyway, just as an experiment, it might work
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
            what you could do is a circular basket, joining two together, and put one in the bottom and one in the top
            I kind of thought about this last year - but i couldn't figure out a way of watering it!

Would look good though...!
            Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

i have 3 tumbling toms in one basket but quited a large basket and its really healthy

Comment

cut the neck of one of those little tiny pop bottles, plant it in the compost with the bottom cut off, put the nexk end throughor butted up to one of the squares, or triangles or whatever the shapes are in-between, at almost the top of thebasket at an angle, then water into that. Obviously stick a bit of membrane at the bottom to make sure some water is retained in the basket.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X