In Praise of Kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of Kale

I'm obsessed. Cavolo Nero, Pentland Brig, dwarf green curly, Red Russian, now trying Scarlet...what other varieties can you recommend? And any interesting variations on the theme of Interesting Brassicas?

I love kale, its such a great veg. I think I love it mostly because it is so reliable, and always there when not much else is.

I normally grow the stalked varieties, but am going to try one of the purple ones (forget the variety) this year. Am also going to use this, plus some rainbow chard in the garden for some winter colour.
    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Walking stick kale:

Mine is now drying in the shed:

Depending how spongy / woody the top is, I hope to get about 3'6" useable length.

I wouldn't eat the stuff, mind.
      Attached Files
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Wow, big walking stick. Kale must be really tough, it's the only brassica I don't have a problem with growing from seed!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My mate challenged me to grow it last year.

It was 5' something with the leaves. I'll be really chuffed if I can actually get a walking stick from it. I wasn't able to get the stalk to bend over at the base and form a crook though (plus if I'd done that the overall height would have been less, and I'd have lost. ), but the bit by the root is big and lumpy enough to form a reasonable grip, all being well.
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

How about spigarello?

Root Simple: Spigarello: Nature's way of saying that broccoli is so over

Got mine from here, but not tried it yet. Looks like a cross between kale and broccoli?

Broccoli Seeds - Spigarello Minestra Nera broccoli seed
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've started off some Kale - but its weeny teeny tiny and not seeming to get any bigger. I started it of fin loo rolls and have kept it in the blowaway - whats wrong? Should I have dome it in bigger pots and kept it inside - How do you guys start yours off and am I too late to start again?

Cheers
              http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I *think* brassicas like it a bit cooler, so you could try moving it outside?

Comment

As mrb says, outside but sheltered will be best. Personally I have found that brasiccas have never grown well in loo rolls.
                  History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

ditto above - I'd transplant to pots, I always grow Rainbow chard for colour mainly. Trying Tuscan kale this year to eat as it's been so recommended

Comment

I just cannot get on with loo rolls, so gave up this year and have sown into trays and then transplanted into modules, all outside.
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Righto - will start again! Perhaps I will save the little loo roll bound ones and put them in little pots!

thanks Guys!
                        http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

This has reminded me to get some kale growing, i have a seed packet somewhere...

Comment

I grew kale for the first time last year and it kept us in 'green' right through the winter.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Me too Bren - grew dwarf curly kale last year for the first time - delicious. I've never liked kale so it was a really great surprise!

I'm sure I remember reading in GYO magazine some time ago that brassicas don't like their growing interrupted, so if you've grown them in modules/trays they need transplanting or potting on after 6 weeks. I've looked back through for the article, but of course I can't find it now!!
                              Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                              So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X