Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best size of pot for tomatoes inside ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best size of pot for tomatoes inside ?

I have just repotted my tomato plants into 7" pots, and staked them. (They are Gardener's Delight, and already have one or two trusses per plant.) Will this be big enough for them, or will I have to pot them up again ?

Mine all end up in flower buckets roosky, and the deeper the better.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Roosky, Pretty sure a standard 7" dia pot won't be big enough, the plant would become root bound restricting growth and watering would be a nightmare. Smallest pot I would go for would be the infamous Morrisons flower bucket and a lot of people would tell you that's not big enough.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

A 10 litre pot is fine as a minimum size. It just so happens that Morrisons larger flower buckets size is....

I know there aren't any Morrisons on Shetland, but it may be worth asking in one of your stores, supermarkets or florists for any used flower buckets. Or dammit, just buy a regular 10 litre one. There are some good prices on ebay, such as: ★★ 10 X 10 LITRE PLASTIC PLANT POTS TOP QUALITY ★★ | eBay UK This company doesn't charge extra to deliver to Shetland either.

Comment

You'll be constantly watering in a smaller pot. Try and get the big ones (10 litre) which also allows you to stake them a bit better.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Why do magazines and instructions on seed packets not tell us things like this?

I bought what I thought was the right size for my tomato plants, I can't remember the size but I think its around 8 inches. The pots they came in were tiny in comparison and they have grown so big but because I'm a beginner some of it is guess work, its so frustrating knowing I could be doing something wrong because the instructions were not specific enough. :-(

Comment

Wait till you find out how cheap Morrison's pots are your not going to be happy with what you spent on standard pots.

Colin
              Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 31-05-2011, 07:56 PM.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                Wait till you find out how cheap Morrison's pots are your not going to be happy with what you spent on standard pots.

Colin
                Now that's just mean Colin.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X