Feeding my potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding my potatoes

My potatoes are now earthed to the top in their barrels.

While earthing I have been adding a standard pellet potato fertiliser to the soil.

Now that they are all earthed up, should I start adding a feed of Tomorite or just leave them be? If so, how often should I feed?

I just used potato fertiliser as you have been doing, and my yeild compared to a mates were probably tenfold. I didn't apply any liquid feed, I guess a high potash feed could help as its aimed at fruit development (despite them being tubers)

Comment

Ditto I use the pellets at planting time and get a decent yield. I do better in bags though as I put my fork through ground planted when harvesting. OH says he's getting me a tater scoop!
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I use the special pellets to start with, I mix them in with the first 6" of compost in the bottom of the bin this keeps them close to the root system. I then feed with high potash as the tubers start to grow, works for me.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Folks,

just been reading this thread. I've not fed my potatoes anything as of yet. I'm growing:

pent javelin E
          kestral M
          wilja M
          sante L

I have some growmore NPK 7:7:7, so a balanced fert. Will this be a good choice to use or should I opt for higher K based fert, such as potash etc? I read vitax Q4 is also a popular fert.

I have no experience in this area so though i'd ask for advice.

Also, would my my onions & garlic benefit from growmore feed?

Thanks,
          firefly

Comment

I bought some liquid potato feed yesterday in a brown bottle - organic something - going to give this a go'
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Ditto I use the pellets at planting time and get a decent yield. I do better in bags though as I put my fork through ground planted when harvesting. OH says he's getting me a tater scoop!
              I scrabble mine out of the hill with gloves on to avoid damage!
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I've just been pulling out a load of rampant comfrey. Rather than chuck it I've added it as a high pottasium mulch to my tatties!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
                  I scrabble mine out of the hill with gloves on to avoid damage!
                  I tend to go in with hands once I have loosened the haulm although by then it is too late and I have stabbed some. I am useless at harvesting potatoes - good at growing them though

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I've just been pulling out a load of rampant comfrey. Rather than chuck it I've added it as a high pottasium mulch to my tatties!
                    Daft question I know Snadge, but do you chop the comfrey up? I have a load I could put on my taters (first time in the ground and two in bags).
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've never fed my spuds but the once and I didn't feel there was any difference in yeild. The trick is to feed the soil first. If it's got well rotted manure of any type (herbivore that is!) it'll give you a decent yield. I have my suspicions 'they' will sell you a fertiliser for anything if they think you'll be intimidated by thinking everyone else is feeding theirs with the stuff.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Trouble is when your growing in containers it is very difficult to have enough growing medium to last the season without extra feeding.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Trouble is when your growing in containers it is very difficult to have enough growing medium to last the season without extra feeding.

Colin
                          Me too. I use Chempak #4 as a weekly feed as soon as the tops appear
                          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X