Beetroot varieties?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot varieties?

I love beetroots and have always just grown the red varieties, boltardy etc.
    This year I want to grow some different ones. I have seeds of
    Golden Detroit
    Yellow Cylindra
    Chioggia
    and Albino

Does anyone have any experience of these varieties? or can you recommend any others?

Are there any other Beetroot lovers out there!

I grew the white beetroot from the Real Seed Co. last year. Grew well, good flavour, didn't make my hands purple when I cooked it. This year I've got the white one again, Wodan F1, Globe 2 and Pronto.

I'll be very interested to learn how you get on with yours.

Edit: Yours look good. Save some seed to swap next year, eh?
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 18-05-2011, 08:59 PM.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I grew Chioggia last year V pretty with its stripes! tasted great raw in salads! Good luck
      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm growing:

Detroit Globe
        Boltardy
        Golden Globe
        Chioggia
        Albina Verda (or something)

One other too that I can't remember the name of. I love beetroot, especially roasted!

Looking forward to roasting them all together, and serving them up as a roasted beetroot salad!

Comment

Having grown white ones, next year I might go for the reddest ones I can get. The Sanguina on the link I posted above look the part, unless anyone has a better suggestion?
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

all my detriot globes were quick to go to seed

Comment

Love Burpee's Golden - just a brilliant beetroot.

I also love Chioggia - and from real seeds I grow Sanguina - which is lovely and I still have a huge bag of saved seeds which are incredibly vibrant.
              Last edited by zazen999; 19-05-2011, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Choggia I have grown two years running. Very reliable and good for pickling. I grow Boltardy too but they are my staples.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I've always grown the white one from real seeds, I've had the bag of seeds for about 6 years now. This year I'm growing a golden one as well. Can't wait till it's ready.
                  "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I love Chioggia and it's always a success for me. Although I plant Boltardy every year, it doesn't do much, haven't yet figured out why.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

thanks for all the replies, it seems there are lots of beetroot fans out there.
                      The white one seems popular, does it really taste like beetroot?
                      Also, what's it like grated raw? I've always cooked mine.
                      Any tips on saving seeds? Do they come true or do you get a mix especially when growing lots of different ones?

Comment

Burpees Golden - that's it, cheers zaz

Wondering how it'll differ from the Golden Globe jobby.

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieNut View Post
                          Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieNut View Post
                            thanks for all the replies, it seems there are lots of beetroot fans out there.
                            Also, what's it like grated raw? I've always cooked mine.
                            Any tips on saving seeds? Do they come true or do you get a mix especially when growing lots of different ones?
                            White tastes just the same aye! I pref them when they are small, golfball size - or there abouts.. they taste sweeter, but still that earthy lovely taste/crunch

I've grated it raw before on salads, it's nice yes - I do the same with turnip (prefer that mind, raw) - much more punchy.

Also, try making a beetroot cake (follow a carrot cake recipe, but use beetroot -- white one is good for this, as you don't get a pink stain everywhere).

Beetroot juice is nice too, if you have a juicer (albeit, again messy).

Beetroot + family do cross, I grew 8 golden globe for the seed saving circle here, which was great, overwintered fine - then my damn chickens got wind of them just throwing up new leaves - somehow knocked my isolation cage off the planter and ate the lot (roots included). Grr. Bear in mind though they flower in their second year, so you'll need to leave some in the ground overwinter (I left mine uncovered, they survived -16°C, the snow and evil gales.. You could cover them with straw I guess - I'll be doing that this year down at the lottie, at least so I know not to dig there ).

Anyway, check here for beetroot seed saving: How To Save Seed, also in the link above, they show you how they separate (or at least a method of doing it), the seeds (as above, Vegetable Seeds : Beetroot Seed).

Comment

White ones are brilliant, no mess at all and all the taste.

But i grow some bolthardy just for using in salads, as they have that visual appeal
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X