tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomatoes

hi everyone i started my tomatoes in airing cupboard and someone sain theyve bolted long stems and justr a set of leaves on top are they anygood or should i bin them thanks

They've not bolted, just got long on lack of light.

Pot them on and bury the stem right down to the pair of leaves which are the seed leaves. They should be fine.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

thanks will do it 2 day

Comment

The airing cupboard is too dark. As soon as seeds germinate they want as much light as you can let them have. I'm sure you can rescue yours. Do the deep planting thing and if possible, let them have time outside in a gentle breeze. That toughens them up a bit! Good luck!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If my toms get leggy which they usually do when I pot on they go in as deep as possible even if it means taking off a side shoot or two.

The buried stem will produce extra roots and give you a good strong plant.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

As the others have said, your plants haven't bolted (gone to flower) they've gone leggy (lack of light)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A few of mine are leggy (the ones in the corners of the windowsills), but I'll still pot them on as deep as I can. They'll be fine.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Mine are fine but need potting up,so should I go up to the pair of pointy leaves (technical term ) or up to the first proper leaves Cheers
                Last edited by bearded bloke; 16-05-2011, 11:36 AM.
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Planting them deeper will give them a bit more stability, as like has been said above they root from the stem.

That said, I think it was FF above saying you can always see a well grown tomato as it still has it's seed leaves visible.

Mine were leggy, they went into 5" pots from 3" ones that they were sown in. They're now in Morrisons flower buckets, I potted them a bit deeper, but not as much as I did the first time around.

So really, BB it's up to you if they're ok!

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                    Mine are fine but need potting up,so should I go up to the pair of pointy leaves (technical term ) or up to the first proper leaves Cheers
                    You can do either, but if you do them unto the first true leaves, you can still get sideshoots coming from the axil of the seed leaves.
                    Which is not a massive problem, but you need to get under the soil a little to take them off.

What I'm doing this year is to plant to the seed leaves and when a couple of sideshoots have been removed from them, there won't be any more, so then I am going to earth up to the first true leaves. After removing the seed leaves if they remain.

If the seed leaves are yellow or missing, it does mean the plant has gone through some sort of stress.
                    Last edited by womble; 16-05-2011, 01:09 PM.
                    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies it's my first time at growing from seed & had really high percentage of germination,did not want to mess up at this stage,so I will take your advice on board & get potting up after dinner
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Not exactly in the ground but same principle the pic will give you and idea of what toms do.

Colin
                        Attached Files
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X