Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwintering Onions/Garlic

Hi all,

Nearly ready for planting the main crops on the allotment! Plan to plant over Easter and looking forward to it!

I did plant some overwintering onions and garlic back in November. Could anyone advise please roughly when these will be ready to harvest! First year and learning as I go!!

Many thanks, Sharon

Hi sharonMD, nice to meet you.

We've had onions and garlic in the ground over winter and have been told they take about 6 months to come to fruition. Apparently they spend half the time making leaf, then start making the bulb. None of ours look ready yet anyway, and I'm expecting to wait until midsummer for the garlic.

Comment

Hi Jane,

Nice to meet you, too! Thanks for the advice. I'll leave them another couple of months and see what happens! Sharon

Comment

I seem to remember that they are ready a couple of months earlier than the spring ones.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hello Sharon, you're garlic is ready when the top growth goes yellow and starts to die down - probably around July. Onions likewise - but probably around September. But if you want small onions for immediate use, just pick them as you want them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

The Japanese onions for me are only ready to lift 2 to 3 weeks before the spring planted sets. They help to give a continuation though, taking over from the last of the winter stored onions!
            The main reason for planting garlic in Autumn is to get bigger plants and help the cloves to set. They are usually ready for lifting about the same time as spring planted garlic. It depends which part of the country you garden at for actual lifting dates!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Should you let garlic flower or do you remove the flower buds?

Comment

Over wintered onions I usually find are ready about June but you can pull some to use before then if necessary. Spring planted onions are ready at the end of August / the beginning of September. (Mine are!)
                [

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                  Take the flowers off - see Nicos' thread on here!

Comment

A couple of quick questions if you dont mind!

Would it be a good idea to feed our overwintering onions and garlic now that the temperatures are improving? We've some that were planted in october, and others that were planted in January, all of which seem to be doing ok, but I'm beginning to wonder whether we should feed them with some Growmore, or Fish, Blood and Bone (or is there something else that folks would recommend) at about now sort of time in order to get as good a harvest as possible, what does everyone think?
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Can't answer the feeding question Mrs D, but am somewhat worried that my onions will not be ready before I need the space! I looked at the overwintered ones today and yes, they have alot of leaf, but the bulb is very small. In fact they looked like spring onions. (I ate one along with a radish that had overwintered - regretted it all afternoon as they both kept repeating!)

Another question - can you store the overwintered ones in the same way as the spring sowing? or do you just dig them up when you need them?
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks for the question Mrs D. Saved me. My garlic, planted in November , looks great. Pleanty of top growth, but I noticed today that the bottom leaves look a bit yellow. Is this just old leaves, or should I be feeding them with something. Or should I be feeding them anyway ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                          Can't answer the feeding question Mrs D, but am somewhat worried that my onions will not be ready before I need the space! I looked at the overwintered ones today and yes, they have alot of leaf, but the bulb is very small. In fact they looked like spring onions. (I ate one along with a radish that had overwintered - regretted it all afternoon as they both kept repeating!)

Another question - can you store the overwintered ones in the same way as the spring sowing? or do you just dig them up when you need them?
                          There's anopther thread on here about this - Japanese onions, I think it's called. Experienced people have answered most of these questions. Never grown autumn onions myself so It'd only be hearsay from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                            Don't let any alliums (onions and garlic) flower unless you want to save the seed. If you get a flower head snap it off and use the bulb asap as they won't store

Comment

Originally posted by sharonmd View Post
                              Hi all,

Nearly ready for planting the main crops on the allotment! Plan to plant over Easter and looking forward to it!

I did plant some overwintering onions and garlic back in November. Could anyone advise please roughly when these will be ready to harvest! First year and learning as I go!!

Many thanks, Sharon
                              Good question Sharon - me too. I've actually put mine in pots, I know they will be smaller than when grown in the ground, but at least now I have a date when they will be ready! Bernie aka Dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X