Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots and thinning

Hi guys,

I planted some carrot in a 6" pot to get them started inside, but what size should the green tops be before thinning out into the garden as they seem a bit thin and measly to even transplant??

Carrots don't transplant well at all. You'd be better off thinning them from the pot by eating some as baby carrots and letting the rest get bigger.

Comment

Thinning out and transplanting are two different things.

As SMC says, you can't transplant carrots

If they are really very very crowded, nip off some of the leaves with your nails. Each plant needs to be about an inch away from its neighbours
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As has already been said, carrots don't grow well when transplanted, it is best to sow them direct (where they are to grow). If you plan on growing them in pots, use bigger pots!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

A few years ago a friend of mine liking carrots seeded a 12" pot. He either forgot or did not bother to thin them out. Come harvest time the bu--ers were so tightly packed he had to use a trowel to lever the first few out.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the feedback it's duly noted!! SOW DIRECT lol

Comment

One other wee piece of advice. I've read somewhere that you should remove any thinnings and dispose of (if not eaten!) as carrot fly can smell them easier that way.
              Might be rubbish, but I don't take the chance.

And oh yes.

Carrots don't transplant well
              Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Actually, it's perfectly possible to transplant carrot seedlings, but you have to have the patience of A Saint,(which I do?) and do it within an enclosed environment. I tried it years ago and failed miserably. I've done it now two years running 'indoors', and have had huge success, but then you also need to 'follow it up' by immediately protecting your little darlings when you plant them out, with an 18" high barrier totally surrounding them to avert the dreaded Carrot Root Fly.

'Normal People' wouldn't dream of being this anorak, but I needed to know that it was possible, just because I was told that it wasn't...
                The trick is to split the seedlings when they are ever so young, so if you're going to attempt it, you end up with a straight root where you want it.
                And I can show you photographic evidence on my blog, if you need encouragement?

Comment

Definately sow direct. I actually always had probs germinating carrots but you get 4000 seeds per packet so there's plenty of leeway for repeated sowings. Always had more than enough tasty carrots all the way through to November anyway and it saves faffing too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X