Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long/Show Carrots

Hi all,

I have an allotment, and have just recently purchased 2 x 6m 4" pipe.

I have cut them into 1m lengths and have fixed to them to my posts at the front of my plot, which is used to keep the rabbits out with mesh.

I have today filled the 4" pipe with Clover MP compost, and I am now debating which seed variety to use to grow in these 4" pipes ?

Do all carrot varieties have the instinct to grow long or is there a particular type for this use/purpose?

Should I add some sand or is that not nessasary as using 4" pipe ?

Was thinking of watering at the base of pipe only, so the root travels down to the moisture.

I am not growing these for show but would like to impress the OH as she doesn't think it will work !

Any thoughts ?

I think Robinson's of Mammoth Onion fame do a range of show vegetable seed including long carrot and long beetroot.
    Give your preferred medium a good soaking, sow the seed and then cover with 'chopped off' plastic pop bottles which fit over nicely and give a cloching affect until the seed germinates.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You need to think of what it is you are trying to achieve. The longest carrot scenario will not give you carrots that will be any good for anything much as the ones that I have seen have been hairlike roots yards long. The heaviest carrot usually looks repulsive and is often grown for a second year to get maximum weight but once again not much good for anything. The third option is the show bench carrot which is in some respects the hardest to perfect.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X