Royal Potatoes Harvested 29/4/11

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Potatoes Harvested 29/4/11

With today being the royal wedding day I decided to harvest some Swift potatoes that had been growing in the greenhouse during the winter. The crop is not huge but they have been harvested a bit too soon and there were plenty more tubers forming which would have been great in a few weeks time.

Anyway here is the video YouTube - Seed Potatoes Harvested 29/4/11

I also have a few photos of them just waiting to be washed a devoured.
    Attached Files
    Potato videos here.

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
    ...some Swift potatoes that had been growing in the greenhouse during the winter.
    Tell me more! Is your greenhouse heated? Mine is unused in the winter, so it'd be great if I could grow spuds in there, even if it was only a few.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

^^What he said.

Comment

No the greenhouse is not heated and the cold did nip them but I covered the polypot with bubblewrap and that was the result. The potatoes were actually planted in November but the cold weather never allowed them to develop and then when they did they got nipped but grew again.

If I made a small bubble wrap greenhouse in the big greenhouse then I think you could grow most of the year round apart from when things get to minus 18 like this year.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

Sounds like it's got to be worth a punt. I'm thinking a pallet or something to lift them off the cold ground, then some bubblewrap as you suggest. Did you just wrap the sides, or over the top too?
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago trying to grow some tatties for Christmas. They were planted in October I think, in a cold frame. Surrounded by straw and with a small paraffin heater in.....they still got frosted!
            Some of the shoots did start to grow again in the spring though and lilke tattieman I got a very small early harvest.
            Certainly was a memorable day to harvest them anyway!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I always grow stuff to the worst of my ability so that if it works for me it should work for everyone if that makes sense. I just layed the bubble wrap over the top of the bag and let it droop over the sides. I think where I got lucky was that I was not in the greenhouse very much over the winter and the potatoes did not get watered on a regular basis which means the water did not have a chance to cause any frost damage to the spuds.

I had the polypot just sitting on a mound of soil in the greenhouse.

So the theory is that I can plant potatoes in March - May to Harvest June to September.
              I can then plant potatoes in July/August that are Ready in November/Christmas.
              The next step is November planted first earlies which can be harvested in April so really I have potatoes growing all year round in Scotland with no heating needed.

I can see a new market opening up for November/Christmas planting potatoes whilst you harvest the others you planted in July.

I think if you had some grow bags and a porch/conservatory etc then you would be off to a flyer.
              Potato videos here.

Comment

Cheers for that tattieman! I'll be giving it a go this year i think

Comment

I planted quite a lot in containers in the greenhouse in February and they are almost ready for picking. I reckon another week or ten days. I wouldn't risk trying to overwinter them after the last couple of severe winters but if we ever get back to 'normal' British winters I'd certainly give it a go.

Comment

Yay, Royal Potatoes! Well done tattieman!

Comment

I planted some really late summer in Morrison's pots and they grew a bit but I'd really left it too late and wasn't expecting much. I had a vague plan about harvesting them for Christmas. Anyway, never got round to harvesting them but left them in the unheated greenhouse.

When it got cold they died back but I left the pots all winter and they've grown again. Not sure if it's the tubers that formed last year that have now grown - llike the volunteers in my broad bean bed

The stems are going a bi tfloppy now so I think I'll have a poke around and see what's in there

Comment

Now that's what I call a First Early! I'm expecting to harvest mine, grown in a cold greenhouse and planted in Feb, in about 3 weeks time. Can't wait!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Following tattieman's example I decided to take the plunge and empty one of the greenhouse containers today. These are Lady Christl, bought from Iain's good self and planted on 20th Feb. Not really ready as you can see by the number of tiddlers but, boy, did they taste good with our tea today. Another week or so and they should be as big as hens eggs.

more details with pics at:
                          the recycled gardener
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice result there I would say. I had the Swift tonight and they were yummy.
                            Potato videos here.

Comment

Check my pots today, Lady C planted in buckets in Feb reckon next week I will be into some lovely new spuds.

Colin
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X